• Are you a Tarantula hobbyist? If so, we invite you to join our community! Once you join you'll be able to post messages, upload pictures of your pets and enclosures and chat with other Tarantula enthusiasts. Sign up today!

Definitely a male?

Andy Corbitt

3 Year Member
My G Porterei which was bought 2 and a half years ago as a wild caught sub-adult and has just completed it's second moult after not feeding for 10 months! As soon as it had recovered from the moult it started to heavily web it's enclosure. Is this a sperm web, making it a male. If so, how long might he live?
I have attached a photo.

Attachments

• 14631767352421694270420.jpg
    14631767352421694270420.jpg
    1.2 MB · Views: 27

MassExodus

1,000+ Post Club
3 Year Member
Doesn't look like a sperm web, and I don't see any spurs or bulbous palps on yours, can't see the palps at all, but I can see where the spurs should be. That web coming off the skull like a beard looks nice! Talented Webber.

MassExodus

1,000+ Post Club
3 Year Member
in the second picture down near the bottom of the front legs, you see the spurs? They look like dew claws on dogs. Also, the first short pair of legs near the mouth, at the end you see the needle looking things? The male will spin a sperm web and load those up with sperm. When he mates he'll use the long pair of legs with the spurs to hold the females fangs, and push her backwards and upwards, so he can duck under and use the pedipalps to insert sperm in the females whoopsy do. Lol. Basically.

Latest posts