• Are you a Tarantula hobbyist? If so, we invite you to join our community! Once you join you'll be able to post messages, upload pictures of your pets and enclosures and chat with other Tarantula enthusiasts. Sign up today!

Decisions Decisions....hypothetically

Zaiaku

3 Year Member
Ok so I'm sitting in a meeting. Bored out of my mind. Thinking of Tarantulas and wondering which one to get next (probably not for a while. Promised the wife I'd wait til my Slings are at least juveniles before getting anymore) but the Psalmopoeus species have caught my eye. Mainly the irminia. It's so freaking pretty and I love the way it moves and looks. And having watched a few feeding videos of it and it's freaking jump attack I really think that'll be my next Tarantula.

Out of curiosity what do you guys think of this particular species? Which of the four (if there are more I'd love to know) do you guys like best? They all look so amazing!!

Kymura

1,000+ Post Club
3 Year Member
P irminia females are gorgeous.
Of the psalmos, got 3 irminia slings lost one to a stalled molt. Hoping one remaining is a female. Have a very nearly juvenile pcam as well.
I love the pcam! It's such a good eater and so far much less secretive then my irminia babies. Not as strikingly pretty but still an extremely good looking T.
Don't have the others...(yet) but I will. Just really like psalmos.

Kymura

1,000+ Post Club
3 Year Member
Yeah once they are grown, pulcher have them too. Just think greyed out irminia for the pcam. I love the look of them. For some odd reason they remind me of grotesque's or gargoyles. One of my favorite things :p

Kymura

1,000+ Post Club
3 Year Member
Just an FYI, Ken has several psalmos :p
image.png

Enn49

Staff member
1,000+ Post Club
3 Year Member
Tarantula Club Member
I have a P. Irminia that came as a tiny sling and has just become a mature male. He's been a joy to own and I've just bought a new tiny sling. He always made a hammock at the top of his container in full view. I have also just 2 days ago got a cambridgei which id definitely more hairy, even at 0.5" that the irminia.

Just one word of warning, although the Psalmopoeus are NW they are venomous although they don't kick hairs.

MassExodus

1,000+ Post Club
3 Year Member
I would say campbridgei, they grow like weeds and become huge commandos:D Irminia are known to be hiders. Check YouTube for some adult female campbridgei feeding videos, I recommend Greg Rice, he has 2 big females in his feeding videos, they show pretty well for a Scooby snack:D

Kymura

1,000+ Post Club
3 Year Member
Really do love the Pcams.
Not the best picture, just re-housed as it out grew it's baby enclosure.
I would have six of these just because I like them. Love my irminia babies too now, Glamor hides mostly while Trigger hangs out under a leaf but still in full view. <3 did I happen to mention that I love Psalmos?! Lol
image.jpg

Last edited:

Zaiaku

3 Year Member
You are all enablers and I love you for it haha. That Is a gorgeous spider Kymura! But I will more than likely pick up a p cam and irminia sling when it comes down to it. They are all so bad ass!

Now I'm not turning this into a should or should not handle thread. But I thought this video was awesome. Just watch it for the sheer fact the spider is beautiful haha full disclosure I would never do this myself nor would I encourage anyone to but...it's still an interesting watch as far as a handling vid goes.

Meludox

3 Year Member
I actually prefer my P. pulcher out of my three Psalmos. It's only 2 and half inches but it has the most character. Super fast, has created lots of gorgeous webbing all over the enclosure and it nearly climbs my tongs every time I feed it. Scares the you-know-what out of me. :p My irminia is awesome, and beautiful as it just molted, but I never see it. It's a sling too and has created a web tunnel+burrowed into the sub behind the cork so I never ever see it. I never see my cambridgei either.

Zaiaku

3 Year Member
Ugh seems I'm going to have to get at least one of each of them....at LEAST haha. They all look so cool!!

Kymura

1,000+ Post Club
3 Year Member
...I see mine...my baby irminia were both stretched out on the cork like itty bitty pokies thirty minutes ago...maybe mine are broken..ones huge the other ones growing slow. Hope that may indicate different genders.

Rmac88

3 Year Member
Uugggghhh you guys I'm a few beers in and reading this just makes me want a Psalmo soooo much more....I'm sitting here tipsily (tip-silly?) trying to convince my wife of it...

Btw that video was amazing

Sent from my SPH-L520 using Tapatalk

Zaiaku

3 Year Member
Haha I'm in the same boat..minus the beers. Trying to convince my wife to let me get one now but I doubt it'll happen haha not for a while anyway.

Latest posts