• Are you a Tarantula hobbyist? If so, we invite you to join our community! Once you join you'll be able to post messages, upload pictures of your pets and enclosures and chat with other Tarantula enthusiasts. Sign up today!

DD's First T Journal

sedge

3 Year Member
Happy Thanksgiving everyone. Just a quick update all four tarantulas are doing great. They are growing quite a bit.

Sent from my SM-G955U using Tapatalk

Whitelightning777

1,000+ Post Club
3 Year Member
They are great choices. I have a Versicolor myself, always a different color with every molt.

The LP will assume mammoth proportions, but that whole genus is awesome. Look not touch pets but they're still pretty calm.

sedge

3 Year Member
The LP has grown the fastest and had to be moved to a bigger enclosure.

The GBB color changes are amazing as well. I'm surprised how fast the Choco has been growing.

sedge

3 Year Member
Have you had any problems with it?
No problems whatsoever. The only complaint is that I don't like the ventilation holes having been drilled on both of the long sides. At least one of those should have been left for unencumbered viewing. They do it to save money because with this configuration that can be used for both arboreal and terrestrial configurations or so Jamie says.

sedge

3 Year Member
It's also done for Avics and others that require cross ventilation.
I understand that. What I don't understand is that they have to put the ventilations on the long sides of the cage. They could put ventilation holes on one long side and the two short sides and leave one long side clean for unobstructed viewing. And they Alternatives they could at least put a roll of ventilation holes along the top but not smack dab in the middle. My only complaint about the cage. Other than that it works great. Outstanding Construction.

sedge

3 Year Member
Since it's approaching one year, I thought I would give just a quick update. The avicularia versicolor died just last week. The other three are doing just fine. Not sure why the versicolor died. Seem to happen during a molt.

The green bottle blue just molted again, showing Amazing Blue legs for the first time and a stunning Orange tiger striped abdomen. The Chaco Golden Knee has been growing and eating just fine as well. The bird eater is getting big. I've had to rehouse the choco and the bird eater. The gbb is still in its original enclosure but will need rehousing soon.

Dave Jay

1,000+ Post Club
3 Year Member
My DD (7 yo.) and I are first time T parents. To journal our experience, keep records, ask questions and share photos, I am starting this thread. If there is a more appropriate sub-forum, mods please move.

On Wednesday, March 1, 2017, we received a 1/2" Grammostola pulchripes from Jamie's Tarantulas. She believes it was born October 2016. We are assuming it was October 31st just to make its life journal more interesting.

6272b4aadcb6c338769a317b6fb0e018.jpg

We set up the enclosure, misting the substrate and moss, and introduced the baby.

c62617418f6b45614232129813e9a80e.jpg

On Saturday, March 4, 2017 we misted again and placed one pinhead B. lateralis in. We did not see the T consume, but there is no sign of the lat. so we are assuming it was devoured.

The T has been mostly hiding inside the corkbark cave, sometimes suspended from the ceiling, or wedged between it and the side of the enclosure.

Yesterday we noticed it made quite the burrow. Busy little girl (we are calling her a girl in hopeful anticipation).

3379c045cc64218c1cb4b30e38e8eb8b.jpg
Great idea mate , I'm doing the same myself, I only got my first tarantulas less than 3 weeks ago. I'm on my phone or I'd put the link.
I'm looking forward to seeing your little ones grow up, almost alongside mine so to speak. Welcome to the forum and the point of no return!

Latest posts