• Are you a Tarantula hobbyist? If so, we invite you to join our community! Once you join you'll be able to post messages, upload pictures of your pets and enclosures and chat with other Tarantula enthusiasts. Sign up today!

Damn crickets

meridannight

This may sound like a weird question, but how likely is it that a cricket will survive for a long period of time inside a home?

I have 2 crickets that escaped and now they're out on the house somewhere... I basically live in a greenhouse -- I have a lot of plants and the last thing I need is a cricket or 2 making lunch of them. I also have many house spiders, so I'm hoping they will catch them but not sure how that will go...

Anybody have a similar thing happen, with crickets escaping? I'm quite paranoid about this, because many of my plants are expensive and/or rare, and most of them I've grown from seed myself, and I really hate the idea of a cricket loose in my home for a longer period of time. (I'd rather have a T loose in the house than a cricket, that's how much I hate the idea of them wandering around on their own here).

Noodlelove

Oh I'm sorry to hear about that it sounds as if they're going to be very happy in your house but I hope they don't do too much damage hopefully they're both boys are both girls

MBullock

3 Year Member
you can use deet to create barriers around your plants.
it causes avoidance behavior the moment their antennae it it. just dont spray it around them, instead go outside with a cup, spray enough to use into the cup, then use a Q-tip or old paintbrush to paint the barrier around the objects you wish to protect.

Diatomaceous earth will prevent them from laying eggs in soil, though getting it wet ruins it.

Noodlelove

you can use deet to create barriers around your plants.
it causes avoidance behavior the moment their antennae it it. just dont spray it around them, instead go outside with a cup, spray enough to use into the cup, then use a Q-tip or old paintbrush to paint the barrier around the objects you wish to protect.

Diatomaceous earth will prevent them from laying eggs in soil, though getting it wet ruins it.
Great reply

Reptisect

3 Year Member
This may sound like a weird question, but how likely is it that a cricket will survive for a long period of time inside a home?

I have 2 crickets that escaped and now they're out on the house somewhere... I basically live in a greenhouse -- I have a lot of plants and the last thing I need is a cricket or 2 making lunch of them. I also have many house spiders, so I'm hoping they will catch them but not sure how that will go...

Anybody have a similar thing happen, with crickets escaping? I'm quite paranoid about this, because many of my plants are expensive and/or rare, and most of them I've grown from seed myself, and I really hate the idea of a cricket loose in my home for a longer period of time. (I'd rather have a T loose in the house than a cricket, that's how much I hate the idea of them wandering around on their own here).
The experience is mutual. I'm currently trying my best to breed roaches but in the mean time I have to put up with something potentially worse than mosquitoes. I'm not sure what's worse mold or crickets.

meridannight

Thanks for the tips. Deet sounds like an option for those who have limited areas to protect. I literally have every shelf, every table, every available floor space filled with plants (I run a small nursery out of my home). So, that's not gonna work for me.

The 2 didn't escape at the same time. One cricket escaped about a month ago and was really really tiny, and I'm hoping one of my house spiders has ate it by now. At least I haven't seen it. The 2nd one chewed through a plastic bag and escaped while I was not home! So hopefully, I only have one cricket loose in the house.

In any case, I've learned my lesson. Not gonna bring these things in the house anymore unless they are to go straight into my tarantulas' enclosures.

Latest posts