• Are you a Tarantula hobbyist? If so, we invite you to join our community! Once you join you'll be able to post messages, upload pictures of your pets and enclosures and chat with other Tarantula enthusiasts. Sign up today!

Custom Terrariums for my T's

Charl

3 Year Member
Hi all,

I have 11 T's, 8 different species and I'm in the process of building custom Terrariums for them as the ones available in South Africa are limited to say the least.

I would like some help in this regard as the large amount of species I have obviously need different Terrariums each and I would like to find out about the ideal size and make up for each before I build a Terrarium that each one of them are unhappy in.

Listed below are the species I have currently and the material I'll be working with to build them there new (Suitable) Terrariums will be Plexiglass.

I have started on the Terrarium for the Malaysian Earth Tiger and below is an rough sketch of the plan.

If you can help me with dimensions and environment requirement about each species then I can start on the rest.

Here is the list of T's

A. 1 x Brazilopelma Colloratvillosum - Brazilian Black And White
B. 3 x Lasiodora Parahybana - Giant Salmon Pink Birdeater
C. 1 x Grammostola Rosea - Chilean Rose
D. 1 x Brachypelma Albopilosum – Honduran Curlyhair
E. 1 x Avicularia Avicularia - Guyana Pinktoe
F. 1 x Cyriopagopus Thorelli - Malaysian Earth Tiger
G. 2 x Brachypelma Boehmei - Mexican Fireleg
H. 1 x Heteroscodra Maculata - Togo Starburst Baboon
Terrarium.JPG

Ghost

3 Year Member
Hi welcome to the forum nice collection of T's you've got there.
When it comes to building custom enclosures the best person on this site to get advice from is Therasoid as he's done quit a few and will be able to tell you all you need to know,I'm sure at some point he'll stop by and post on this thread.....

Enn49

Staff member
1,000+ Post Club
3 Year Member
Tarantula Club Member
I have a Cyriopagopus schioedtei also known as the Malaysian Earth Tiger and in my experience of its webbing habits you may have problems with a door on the container. Mine is in a container with just a top lid and it has built an amazing web platform and tunnel all the way up using all 4 sides, all coated in substrate but it also has an underground tunnel so it will need quite a depth of substrate.

Therasoid

3 Year Member
Hello and welcome!
Nice seeing another keeper building their own enclosures.
Good mix of Ts, both arboreal and terrestrial species. What you have listed as A. is Nhandu coloratovillosus though.
When building, bear in mind, is it still growing or fully mature? I rehouse mine no more than 3 times, from sling to maturity.
Looking at the diagram, its 8"X8"X16", good size for an arboreal at 4" in size. 3mm (1/8") is borderline thickness IMO, can warp, especially the door over time. I would advise 5mm in this instance. 3mm is OK for (arboreal) enclosures 4"X4"X10". 5mm for 7"X7"X14", and 7mm for anything larger.
Also, in the diagram, raise the height of the bottom front piece to 4". Its better to be too much versus too little. Lol!
Here is the formula I use prior to a build:
Terrestrial: Length: 3-4X
Width: 2-3X
Height: 1-2X
Arboreal: Length: 2-3X
Width: 2-3X
Height: 3-4X
All are multiples of the tarantula's DLS.
One other note, pre drill your ventilation holes prior to assembling. Just easier! [emoji4]
Check out the enclosure section to see some examples.
Hope this helps. Feel free to PM me.

Daniel Gann

3 Year Member
Pictures are better than words some times. This is my Avic,Avic enclosure i built recently. 10gallon upright. I plan to a couple more Avic's to this one!

Therasoid

3 Year Member
Pictures are better than words some times. This is my Avic,Avic enclosure i built recently. 10gallon upright. I plan to a couple more Avic's to this one!
That's the reason I added the line to check the enclosure section. I posted photos of some that I built in there.
Personally I won't use a modified aquarium for arboreals. These only allow air through one surface of the enclosure. Drilling holes in glass is a PITA, its called cross ventilation for a reason. Not downgrading the use of them by any means. Many use them, I like mine better, lighter, holes on 3 surfaces and won't shatter if accidentally dropped or tip over.
When you have a collection the size of mine. I would quickly run out of space using 10 and 20 gallon tanks as enclosures. Just saying and not to be rude or start an argument. [emoji6]
I like yours and the fact it has lots of room for the T to move about. No doubt will be comfortable for its lifetime in there. [emoji4]

Daniel Gann

3 Year Member
Point well made. I am looking into some small computer fans to create a small draft in the enclosure.
This is the only Arboreal species i have at this time, and as a beginner i am learning some tricks of the trade.
This enclosure holds humidity very well and will occupy at least 3 more Avic's.
Thanks for the the comment.

octanejunkie

1,000+ Post Club
3 Year Member
Tarantula Club Member
Interesting thread, I am thinking about building my future enclosure(s) but wonder if I can't reuse some of my rimless low-iron glass fish tanks for terrestrials... I can fashion a secure, well-ventilated top, but I won't drill the sides.

Would I be better fashioning out of lucite or acrylic?

ps. I dig Therasoid's formulas and by no means wish to hijack the OP's thread

Daniel Gann

3 Year Member
That will work fine with Terrestrials that don't require any type of elevated humidity levels. Rose hair for example.
I use lexan on my enclosures because it"s a material that is very pliable and durable. Acrylic will work fine, just take your time drilling and cutting as it may crack. I don't know much about Lucite. You can lay your tanks on there side and do a flip down door with hinges, works really well.
I use acrylic hinges as well, with acrylic glue. There are good videos on youtube on this subject as well.

Latest posts