• Are you a Tarantula hobbyist? If so, we invite you to join our community! Once you join you'll be able to post messages, upload pictures of your pets and enclosures and chat with other Tarantula enthusiasts. Sign up today!

Custom Made Enclosures

Kurt Nelson

3 Year Member
The 2.5gal aquarium on end measures 15w x 41h x 20d in centimeters. I didn't think it was that expensive for a little plastic! Still wouldn't be bad for the individual though. I need to work on this project for myself, haha.

It would all depend on what you are using to make it. If you're using 1/8th inch plexi it's more likely to warp over time and it's harder to work with than 3/16 but it's way cheaper. But 3/16 is much easier to work with, looks nicer, it's not going to warp and it's way stronger and less likely to crack when drilling through it. Let me go take some nice pictures of the ones I just made out of 3/16. My vents still haven't come in yet so none of my cages are finished! LOL.

ipreventdeath

3 Year Member
Now that is awesome. It would make a perfect display cage. You could completely customize the interior with a bark background and still have crystal clear viewing. How much would that one cost in materials?

Kurt Nelson

3 Year Member
Just the plexi hasps and hinges? Or with vents too? Not sure how I want to place the vents. I dont really want them on the front for viewing purposes. But if I put them on the side and you stack the cages side by side the air has to flow through all the cages to get to the one in the middle if you get my drift.

But plexi, hinges and hasps it costs... 32 bucks without vents. with 5 vents which is what I want to put in there it's... 38.25

ipreventdeath

3 Year Member
That's still not bad considering most that size would cost $60USD with online dealers. If you factor in your costs for labor you could sell them for $50CD (I'm assuming your costs are in CD) and still make a decent profit. I would prefer one without vents and drill my own ventilation holes (my personal preference) anyway.

Kurt Nelson

3 Year Member
They sell for 80 bucks on TarantulaCages.com. By the time you cut it, sand down the edges, polish it, put it together, glue it, flame polish, drill holes put in vents. It's a lot more than 10 bucks :p You'd have to double your cost. So 80 bucks is a decent price for these.

ipreventdeath

3 Year Member
Hmm, I didn't think about all of that extra work. Yeah I can understand upping the price with that much work involved.

I need to see how much a decent table saw would cost and start looking into buying one.

I found this on another forum and thought it would be a really cool project. Go to page 9 and you can see a final project this guy made with the plexiglass enclosure idea. It got pretty involved. http://www.tarantulasus.com/showthread.php/898-DIY-Acrylic-(Plexiglass)-Tarantula-Cage/page9

Kurt Nelson

3 Year Member
Yeah I know that guy. :p I sent him a female A.Metallica :p

Those are great for display cases. But other then that there isn't much use to it.

As for a table saw, one that will work is like 120 bucks at home depot. The Ryobi one i think it is.

Kurt Nelson

3 Year Member
I was going to make a DIY video but Bast never answered my text messages! PSH! But I still have two 12x12x20 cages to make but I want to pick up different solvent. The weldon 3 works awesome but it tends to bubble.

Bast

1,000+ Post Club
3 Year Member
I was going to make a DIY video but Bast never answered my text messages! PSH! But I still have two 12x12x20 cages to make but I want to pick up different solvent. The weldon 3 works awesome but it tends to bubble.
I didn't get any messages :(

Latest posts