• Are you a Tarantula hobbyist? If so, we invite you to join our community! Once you join you'll be able to post messages, upload pictures of your pets and enclosures and chat with other Tarantula enthusiasts. Sign up today!

"Cuddling" with Ts ?

bookac

3 Year Member
Did someone imagine, even on a second, how it would be, if the Ts can share there love to the keeper, and feel attached with him ? How the Ts are going to look like when they are happy, sad, when you are cuddling them till they fall asleep :)

this just come out random on my mind before sleeping :)

MassExodus

1,000+ Post Club
3 Year Member
It would be very cool if they were like dogs. That's what draws me to whip scorpions..they can recognize things with their feelers..its going to be fun handling them and seeing if they get "used" to me. It would be very cool if they stopped drawing away from me and come out on my hand, maybe even take food by hand. I'm not expecting much, but it will be interesting to observe their behavior. I'll be practicing safe handling, of course. I've already determined that slow movement doesn't startle them.

Wg25

3 Year Member
Hahaha I can totally relate bookac. Always wondered what it would be like if tarantulas had similar characteristics to dogs and other domestic animals...would be soooo awesome! Just having them roam free in the house....popping in every now and then for a snack! Hahaha

Fuzzball79

1,000+ Post Club
3 Year Member
In a way I love the fact that Ts are NOT like other "conventional" pets at all. It's part of the attraction of keeping them to discover behaviour and habits you won't find with your other pets.
I think, one of the reasons why I caved in getting a spider (originally for my oldest son, but got very fond of them myself) was that other than that I promised him, the deaths of our rats hit me and the kids quite hard and maybe I wanted a pet, that couldn't give a sh***t about its owners and wouldn't even make the effort to bond with us lol. That doesn't mean, I'm not upset if/when one of my Ts dies (I even cried a little for my P. Met sling), but it's no where near as bad as when the rattie-girls died and I can't even accommodate the thought of my 10 year old German Shepherd crossing the rainbow bridge :(.
I hope this makes sense and doesn't come across as unemotional...

P.S: I sometimes DO wish I could stroke my Versi's and Rosea's belly though, they look so velvety, lol.

bookac

3 Year Member
In a way I love the fact that Ts are NOT like other "conventional" pets at all. It's part of the attraction of keeping them to discover behaviour and habits you won't find with your other pets.
I think, one of the reasons why I caved in getting a spider (originally for my oldest son, but got very fond of them myself) was that other than that I promised him, the deaths of our rats hit me and the kids quite hard and maybe I wanted a pet, that couldn't give a sh***t about its owners and wouldn't even make the effort to bond with us lol. That doesn't mean, I'm not upset if/when one of my Ts dies (I even cried a little for my P. Met sling), but it's no where near as bad as when the rattie-girls died and I can't even accommodate the thought of my 10 year old German Shepherd crossing the rainbow bridge :(.
I hope this makes sense and doesn't come across as unemotional...

P.S: I sometimes DO wish I could stroke my Versi's and Rosea's belly though, they look so velvety, lol.
I share the same opinion with you.. I like them because they are different, and primitive.. But I just asked because I thought of that in that moment.

And also I never had any real pet in my life,so I cant compare how it is.. but I know that I am attatching to much emotional with them.. So I love my Ts how they are :)

kormath

1,000+ Post Club
3 Year Member
2nd, or i guess 3rd that i like them because they are different. I'm still a little iffy about handling them. Not sure i could cuddle up with a spider like i do my little dog and watch tv on the couch. My son wanted the Rosea so he could do that lol. His mom told him stories about them handling their Rosea when she was his age and letting it sit on their shoulder. Now my son wants to do that.... o_O

Kymura

1,000+ Post Club
3 Year Member
I dont handle mine per say, my A avic has become very curious and will now walk over and feel of my hand when I'm adding water or cleaning her walls (dirty girl that she is) As long as she's not trying to rub hairs on me I'm fine with her 'petting ' me,

although :confused: shes probably checking to see if I'm edible or not :eek:

spider4747

3 Year Member
Above your nostrils unless you want allergies all day.

Attachments

• 12246635_1660845840859665_738158150325202371_n.jpg
    12246635_1660845840859665_738158150325202371_n.jpg
    51 KB · Views: 25

spider4747

3 Year Member
Not if you're basically lying down.

I never give them anywhere to climb without first making sure they won't fall anywhere. I handle them over my bed too .

DewDrop

3 Year Member
Well, I am glad they can stay in their habitat and do not require the interaction a cat, dog or hook bill parrot does. The A. Avic has me wondering given they can cohabit with one another whether or not that is of any actual benefit to the spider for whatever reason. They all have their unique character traits that I notice anyway, that seems to just make them adorable. However they give plenty of space, do not demand attention and can look great in a habitat as a display animal. Perfect for me. Tarantulas seem so inquisitive and trusting, the reliance they give to us, the responsibility is like the only cuddle they have to give. They enrich our lives with the education they bring. My cat is a bed hog. I have had to reclaim blankets and pillows in a slight tug from her snoozing. I wake up and can find her sleeping on my stomach or even my shoulder sometimes. Usually she is right by my pillow. That is my cuddle bug. The silly orange cat. My husband has his grey cat who while she likes everyone else around here, claims him for her pet bed. So the tarantula would have it's hair full and a heck of a time trying to cuddle if it was so inclined, thankfully it is not, unless you stick your hands in it's environment, then they are inclined to take a wander. Even the Chilean now, just a spiderling, is really friendly. So a day cannot go by without checking up on the tarantulas, just looking in on them, and that is plenty of "snuggle" for them. We give the tarantulas attention and do interact a little, they seem to enjoy it. Not too much, just occasionally , after all they do seem to know us. They have to instigate it or they just get a pat with a brush.

Chubbs

1,000+ Post Club
3 Year Member
It'd be pretty lame IMO. I like these animals the way they are. If I want something like a dog I'll get a dog or cat or even a monkey.

Chubbs

1,000+ Post Club
3 Year Member
Not if you're basically lying down.

I never give them anywhere to climb without first making sure they won't fall anywhere. I handle them over my bed too .
A lot of us are against handling. If you wanna do it that's fine, but saying it's totally safe and has no risks whatsoever is just irresponsible and ignorant IMO. You do it if you'd like, just don't expect a lot of the people in this hobby to react in a positive way to it.

MassExodus

1,000+ Post Club
3 Year Member
A lot of us are against handling. If you wanna do it that's fine, but saying it's totally safe and has no risks whatsoever is just irresponsible and ignorant IMO. You do it if you'd like, just don't expect a lot of the people in this hobby to react in a positive way to it.
Irresponsible and ignorant is a little harsh. Some people handle them, and don't agree with you. And yes, a tarantula can be handled safely. Safe for the tarantula. Not the handler. If you can take a bite without harming the spider reflexively, then yes, you can handle one safely.

DewDrop

3 Year Member
People with the big collections, that are not selling are breeder contacts, to loan males and study, they don't handle the tarantulas they study them and care for them. No one worries about them hoarding instead of hobby because they are contacts. It is the keepers like, oh.. say.. like me.. Who have the tarantulas as pets, the wonder extends to. Do we handle, what do we use, what do we like, what do we know, how many do we have, do we have limits set, etc.. Which is great that the wonder is there and all, but personally the tarantulas are like living decorations that add an ambiance to the residence. We get attached. The tarantulas are like comapnions or friends, like a potted plant. Whereas a lot of people collecting do not get attached. The tarantula hobby is husbandry and science based on business surrounded by law and ethic for a great many people. So while we collect a few for the fun, for the attachment and joy and just over all the great lives we can give them and the quality enhancing they give to ours, the laughs and attachment, it doesn't take patting the tarantula often or picking it up. They are something to view that is fun if you can see and if you cannot they are great to study. These hobbyists and breeders who get the tarantulas to us, care, they don't want us getting poked by a hair or bitten, because they are sharing their very livelihood with us that we buy. We are a part of that. That is where the communication between seller and consumer ceases and the study continues for them. They might handle these spiders before selling them and want a buyer to be able to handle the non-aggressive ones so it is safer for their customers. So not handling them once in awhile is like wasting their time. No one is obligated to pick up a spider and let it walk on their hands or even consider it tame. But they are pets. The ones who are not aggressive and not likely to bite, are gonna get handled, it is just the way it is. If I get one from a breeder and they say, don't handle it, I am not gonna handle it. I might want an orange bitey thing, but I am not going to get one only because the reaction of it's bite is documented as harsh. I like it's attitude. I am not the only one in the residence who might handle a spider, I just cannot take that risk. When it comes to handling, there are some you can and some you cannot, If science suggests that it stresses the spider to handle, then no, I won't. I get what studies I can, nothing new right now. Maybe later. Then again, I don't breed and am not going to ever have more than a dozen tarantulas at any one time and never two of the same kind but opposite gender. So a male Tarantula given the time it takes for them to mature and the value to sustaining the hobby they are, would be a complete waste depending on the CITES status, as a pet. Personally I only want the females as pets, the longer life span is what I am hoping for.

Last edited:

Chubbs

1,000+ Post Club
3 Year Member
Irresponsible and ignorant is a little harsh. Some people handle them, and don't agree with you. And yes, a tarantula can be handled safely. Safe for the tarantula. Not the handler. If you can take a bite without harming the spider reflexively, then yes, you can handle one safely.
There's a few species that can be handled, but it's still a very risky thing to do. I don't think handling an old world is a very smart idea, but a few new world terrestrials can be safely handled if you take a few precautions. I didn't say the act itself was irresponsible and ignorant, rather telling others it isn't is. Like I said I have no problem with people disagreeing with me here, but I still think it's risky both for the owner and the tarantula. There are safe-ER ways to handle one of course, but no method of handling (except for perhaps hands-off methods) are without their risks.

Latest posts