• Are you a Tarantula hobbyist? If so, we invite you to join our community! Once you join you'll be able to post messages, upload pictures of your pets and enclosures and chat with other Tarantula enthusiasts. Sign up today!

Critter behavior

tiberius

Here's a recent pic..
20190104_215924.jpg

Whitelightning777

1,000+ Post Club
3 Year Member
The other thing to keep in mind is that if you think he's molting, don't disturb him because you might catch him in the act, which can be bad.

I'd wait until he's done and emerges. It is probably best to simply put the waterdish about 2 or 3 inches away from the hide entrance in the meantime.

He'll most likely kick the old molt out and come out of the hide on his own. Wait a few more days so he can harden up and then move him when it gets close to feed him his first post molt meal.

The timing with a rehouse should be when he's physically stable, not right before or after a molt or an injury such as the loss of a limb (not a factor here of course) in my opinion.

Meanwhile if he's in premolt, he's not going to eat anyway and only needs to be close to a water source.

Of course, you'll also plan where additional cages will go. The 20 gallon is far from useless. If you get multiple slings in either the sling sized or juvenile size enclosures, you can use the 20 gallon to make a micro climate for multiple juveniles and slings, perhaps as many as half a dozen or more.

Dave Jay

1,000+ Post Club
3 Year Member
You only need a waterdish with water in it. They can't drink from sponges or paper towels. Also, it's impossible for tarantulas to drown regardless of species.
Just to elaborate on this point for the OP, the hairs on a tarantulas body trap air making it impossible for them to sink and drown in a water dish.

ilovebrachys

1,000+ Post Club
3 Year Member
Shame these pet stores still sell sponges for Ts to drink from -just a breeding ground for bacteria if you ask me ;-(

Latest posts