• Are you a Tarantula hobbyist? If so, we invite you to join our community! Once you join you'll be able to post messages, upload pictures of your pets and enclosures and chat with other Tarantula enthusiasts. Sign up today!

Concerned about my B. Albopilosum

Moray

3 Year Member
For the past 2-3 weeks or so, my curly hair t has stayed in her hide and covered the entrance with about an inch of substrate. I've found that if I remove it, she replaces it within the day. She hasn't moved much and hasn't been eating as much as she usually does. She's otherwise healthy, abdomen looks fine and plump. The only problem is a small wound on one of her feet, but it looks to be healing fine (I imagine she got it from a cricket chewing on her or something). I have a heating pad on the end of her cage that is opposite the hide and I refill her water bowl every 2-3 days. Other than hiding all the time, she's acting the same as she always has.
I realize that she may just be in premolt, which I normally wouldn't be concerned about, but the last time she molted was April of this year, so not too long ago. She's about the size of my palm so I thought that her next molt would be far off. I've heard that some ts molt more than others but you can't be too careful right?
Is she just stressed? Sick, maybe? Could her cage possibly be too humid or hot? I'm just worried that if I leave her alone thinking she's in premolt I'll starve her if she really isn't... I'd really appreciate some advice on this!! Thank you!

Tomoran

3 Year Member
Tarantula Club Member
It sounds to me like she's in premolt. I have four albos, and when well fed, they'll go into premolt and secret themselves away in their burrows. I have a 4" female that ate like a pig for a month, then buried herself. She emerged a couple months later a bit bigger and quite hungry. Generally, if a tarantula closes off the entrance to it's burrow with substrate or web, it's putting out the "do not disturb" sign for you. Make sure water is available and try not to uncover the entrance of her hide.

How cold is the temperature in your home that you need a heat pad? This is usually a species that does quite well at room temps, even those on the cooler end. If it's warmer in the cage, this could speed up her metabolism and lead to faster molts and a shorter time between molts.

leaveittoweaver

3 Year Member
Agree with the others. I would ditch that headpad unless your house gets super cold there is usually no need for supplemental heating. You could use a space heater in the room if you are concerned.

Probably molting so quickly due to the warmer conditions. As tarantulas get older they take longer and longer to molt as well. I have a GBB who is just molting today after fasting and being in premolt for about a year.

Phil

1,000+ Post Club
3 Year Member
Agree with the others. I would ditch that headpad unless your house gets super cold there is usually no need for supplemental heating. You could use a space heater in the room if you are concerned.

Probably molting so quickly due to the warmer conditions. As tarantulas get older they take longer and longer to molt as well. I have a GBB who is just molting today after fasting and being in premolt for about a year.
....and I I thought pre-moult of about 6months for my smithi was a long wait......guess I need to be more patient in life ☺
To OP, I agree with everything already said. Don't worry, sounds all natural to me.

Latest posts