• Are you a Tarantula hobbyist? If so, we invite you to join our community! Once you join you'll be able to post messages, upload pictures of your pets and enclosures and chat with other Tarantula enthusiasts. Sign up today!

Commercial enclosure options for Ts

octanejunkie

1,000+ Post Club
3 Year Member
Tarantula Club Member
You know what I meant lol
I do, but every Tupperware, amac box, sterilite, etc container opens only from the top... Not the worst thing in the world, esp with a sidewinder like a pokie running a counterclockwise mile when disturbed

timc

3 Year Member
I do, but every Tupperware, amac box, sterilite, etc container opens only from the top... Not the worst thing in the world, esp with a sidewinder like a pokie running a counterclockwise mile when disturbed
Nah my rufilata is an up and out girl. If she doesn’t want to be in the enclosure when the bolus is coming out she isn’t. She knows where the fire escape is lol

Whitelightning777

1,000+ Post Club
3 Year Member
I have all 4 of my pokies in ReptiZoo cages. Pokies run in a spiral dance type of pattern. Anything that opens up to the side will probably result in escape after escape. The top opening plus the feeding port is perfect for these guys. The only other thing you need is a long thin funnel to fill the water dish or drop the feeder where you want it. Use a cork bark round too.

For terrestrials, I prefer to use Terra Blue professional cages. They are built like tanks in more ways then one and are rated safe for venomous animals. The screens are fully bonded and claws won't get caught. The reptilock is also cat proof. 3 gallon and 5 gallon sizes are available. They also have a 2 gallon teal for the smaller arboreal species or slings.

octanejunkie

1,000+ Post Club
3 Year Member
Tarantula Club Member
I have all 4 of my pokies in ReptiZoo cages. Pokies run in a spiral dance type of pattern. Anything that opens up to the side will probably result in escape after escape. The top opening plus the feeding port is perfect for these guys. The only other thing you need is a long thin funnel to fill the water dish or drop the feeder where you want it. Use a cork bark round too.

Thanks for your reply!
What size ReptiZoo cage are you using for adult pokies and what species?

octanejunkie

1,000+ Post Club
3 Year Member
Tarantula Club Member
I recently got a few Ts from another member in their existing enclosures, 3 of which were Zilla 4*4*8 Micro Habitats
media-1641406977382-Jan_2_2022_2_25_PM.png

I kinda like this enclosure for juvenile or dwarf avics as the front panel hinges down and they can web the top on 3 sides.

I also have two adult avics in 6*6*9 top opening enclosures ala Herpcult, ReptiZoo with magnetic lids like this
Screenshot_20220105-102814.png

I've been able to keep the spiders from webbing the the lids, so I ordered a few more from Amazon to test

REPTI ZOO Magnetic Acrylic Case, 6x6x9 Inch Enclosure Reptile Breeding Box Terrarium Cage Tank for Tarantula Scorpion Sling Isopods Lizards Roach Invertebrates Insect Mantis https://www.amazon.com/dp/B08C51W5LP/?tag=exoticpetnetw-20
I plan to drill more holes in this one to provide better cross ventilation

This one has more holes in 2 sides as well as the lid, so I ordered a few to test
NANEEZOO Magnetic Acrylic Reptile Cage, 6"x6"x9" Tall Enclosure Transparent Reptile Breeding Box Terrarium Tank for Tarantula Scorpion Sling Isopods Invertebrates Insect Mantis https://www.amazon.com/dp/B08RCM3BGH/?tag=exoticpetnetw-20

When it comes to drilling plastic, I've upgraded to Craftics Plas-Drill drill bits
https://www.amazon.com/dp/B0184VOF9S/?tag=exoticpetnetw-20

DustyD

1,000+ Post Club
Tarantula Club Member
CovThis is a great thread. Here is my 2 cents.

I prefer acrylic enclosures by Herpcult and Tarantula Cribs, both are very good quality. But you pay for that. I think both have tops that can be completely covered by air holes or just around the edges. At first I loved all the holes as it makes it easy to water just about anywhere reducing intrusion. The problem is that all the holes prevent picture taking. They also can dry out the substrate faster.

I have one Exo Terra 8x8x8 that I really like. I replaced the top with a thin acrylic and plastic cover I bought on ebay. I really like the dual openings.

As for Zilla, I had a terrestrial one but did not like it. The top flipped up on a hinge at one end and I felt opening could give the T a chance to escape or get squished in the gap between the lid hinge and the side where it pivots.

Latest posts