• Are you a Tarantula hobbyist? If so, we invite you to join our community! Once you join you'll be able to post messages, upload pictures of your pets and enclosures and chat with other Tarantula enthusiasts. Sign up today!

Cobalt Pairing

Paleogirl101

I have a pair of Cyriopagopus lividum. My female stays borrowed and is very aggressive. I was wondering how I should proceed with safely introducing the male to her? The male’s safety is over breeding the pair to me. I’ve only bred docile, non borrowers before, so this is newer to me, and I find these forums pretty helpful with advice! Any advice would be great!

ilovebrachys

1,000+ Post Club
3 Year Member
I have a pair of Cyriopagopus lividum. My female stays borrowed and is very aggressive. I was wondering how I should proceed with safely introducing the male to her? The male’s safety is over breeding the pair to me. I’ve only bred docile, non borrowers before, so this is newer to me, and I find these forums pretty helpful with advice! Any advice would be great!
Hi I would say if safety of your Ts is paramount then breeding is not for you as much can be done to help try to save a male this cannot always be guaranteed -
@Arachnoclown and @Phil as the best people to advise you on this but I'm confused as to how experienced you are in breeding as your other post states that you are a first time breeder? I know we all have to start somewhere but of course want to take the right approach to it :)

Arachnoclown

1,000+ Post Club
3 Year Member
Tarantula Club Member
Breeding spiders takes a different mentality then breeding most animals. Males get eaten...that's how it works. That's how it's worked for millions of years. It takes a special person to breed...not as easy as it seams. Cant always save them all...it sounds cold but that's how it is. I've lost lots of males...had lots of success. You have to take the good with the bad.

Phil

1,000+ Post Club
3 Year Member
@Arachnoclown is correct. Not a species to try and intervene. Best you can hope for is that she is in a rather large enclosures (mine is in a 45 x45) and that the male somehow manages to get far enough away to SAFELY cup him (I.e. a tub over the top of him) that means she can't get at him and he can't get at you. When your heart rate has gone below 200 beats per minute, you can try to safely remove him to live to fight another day.

I must stress however, your safety is more important than that of the male, not worth the risk and as said already, this is nature.

Soulman

@Arachnoclown is correct. Not a species to try and intervene. Best you can hope for is that she is in a rather large enclosures (mine is in a 45 x45) and that the male somehow manages to get far enough away to SAFELY cup him (I.e. a tub over the top of him) that means she can't get at him and he can't get at you. When your heart rate has gone below 200 beats per minute, you can try to safely remove him to live to fight another day.

I must stress however, your safety is more important than that of the male, not worth the risk and as said already, this is nature.
Sounds as if he got bit,because he panicked.a good plan of action.

menavodi

1,000+ Post Club
3 Year Member
Tarantula Club Member
i often found that the so called aggressive species are more careful when they breed...
And the easy ones like Brachypelma or Avicularia are fast and careless.

Phil

1,000+ Post Club
3 Year Member
i often found that the so called aggressive species are more careful when they breed...
And the easy ones like Brachypelma or Avicularia are fast and careless.
Yeah you never can tell until you try TBH. Those curly hairs I posted are just constantly fighting and I have had 2 male roseas end up as lunch now.

Arachnoclown

1,000+ Post Club
3 Year Member
Tarantula Club Member
Cute little adorable Dwarfs....slowed down x2
20191123_144145_2.gif

Latest posts