• Are you a Tarantula hobbyist? If so, we invite you to join our community! Once you join you'll be able to post messages, upload pictures of your pets and enclosures and chat with other Tarantula enthusiasts. Sign up today!

Chilean Rose enclosure advice

Will25

3 Year Member
Hey guys! So I always had a problem with my Chilean Rose climbing up the side of his container until he slipped and fell off. He did it over and over again.So I Heard from a friend that they hate wet substrate which made sense! But I only had wet substrate so I left it in the sun for a few hours and it dried out nicely! After rehousing all my T's about 5 days ago all of them adapted to their new nest and enclosures perfectly....except my G. Rosea.....He looks stressed and keeps wandering around. And burrows little holes here and there. He is just not settling! What should I do!? I will try to post a pic of the enclosure below so you guys can get an idea of the setup! Thanks a lot!

Will25

3 Year Member
2015-09-09 00.02.23.jpg

badger

3 Year Member
The enclosure looks fine to me. I've always used dry sub, critters crumble to be exact. I've had my g rose for 18 month now. I cleaned it out once. Then it hardly moved for like 5 days but, it soon got a bout and started digging, making a mound in the middle outside its hide. I thought it was brilliant. Now it's seems quite happy. They don't eat much often. That's the only down side of a g rose. I'm sure yours will settle in just fine.

Therasoid

3 Year Member
Agree, dry substrate is best.
G. rosea are just a finicky species in the hobby. Some acclimate to a new enclosure in a few days others may take months. Your T looks healthy and the enclosure looks good to me. Rule of thumb: 1 1/2 times DLS from sub surface to top of enclosure, this minimizes an injury in the event of a fall.
Has it been fed/eaten since the change? Might be hungry?

Will25

3 Year Member
The enclosure looks fine to me. I've always used dry sub, critters crumble to be exact. I've had my g rose for 18 month now. I cleaned it out once. Then it hardly moved for like 5 days but, it soon got a bout and started digging, making a mound in the middle outside its hide. I thought it was brilliant. Now it's seems quite happy. They don't eat much often. That's the only down side of a g rose. I'm sure yours will settle in just fine.
Okay awesome! Thanks a lot badger! Started getting worried!

Will25

3 Year Member
Agree, dry substrate is best.
G. rosea are just a finicky species in the hobby. Some acclimate to a new enclosure in a few days others may take months. Your T looks healthy and the enclosure looks good to me. Rule of thumb: 1 1/2 times DLS from sub surface to top of enclosure, this minimizes an injury in the event of a fall.
Has it been fed/eaten since the change? Might be hungry?
He has not eaten anything in 40 days! I will still give him a cricket every few days and leave it over night but I haven't given him one since I rehoused him so I will give it a shot! And thanks for the tip Therasoid! You are always very helpful!☺

Latest posts