• Are you a Tarantula hobbyist? If so, we invite you to join our community! Once you join you'll be able to post messages, upload pictures of your pets and enclosures and chat with other Tarantula enthusiasts. Sign up today!

Cheap Husbandry Options.

Nada

1,000+ Post Club
3 Year Member
I'm a big fan of 10/15 gallon totes for the largest of Ts. Or you could go as large as a 45 gallon tote. just be sure to put ventilation hole on the side of the tote(not the top).

Bast

1,000+ Post Club
3 Year Member
I've seen quite a few people use these containers for their arboreals, they range in price from .49-3.79: http://www.containerstore.com/shop?showDS=true&Ns=p_sort_default|0&Ntt=amac&submit=GO They've just drilled holes in the sides for ventilation, most of them turn them upside down, so that they don't disturb their T's web when doing water changes and substrate maintenance. There's also the shoe boxes which look great for terrestrial enclosures :) I wish I could find them here where I live!

Nada

1,000+ Post Club
3 Year Member
I've used the Cubes before, and have a few in use currently. The only issue I have with them, is that the tops stick a little.
but yeah, the shoe boxes are fantastic. I use their sweater boxes as well.

Bast

1,000+ Post Club
3 Year Member
I want a container store in Calgary right meow!! I must have went to 8 or 9 different places looking for suitable enclosures, but most of them were either the wrong size, had to be customized too much (and I really am not handy and have zero tools at my disposal lol), or would have just disturbed her webbing (if she ever does web) every time I went to do a water change. So I'm going with the exo-terra (found one really cheap online that I am picking up tomorrow), and will probably end up making a custom acrylic top for it (instead of using the screen top) when I can find someone with the right tools to help me out. Still going to continue to hunt around, because I already know that Karina is not going to be our last/only T. hehe

Nada

1,000+ Post Club
3 Year Member
The Container store should ship to you.
and you really don't have to modify the screen. Gramms like it on the drier side anyway 40% is fine.

Bast

1,000+ Post Club
3 Year Member
They do shipping to Canada now, but I don't have a credit card and found no way to do this using the e-cheque option using Paypal (still wanted a cc attached to my PP account)...plus shipping was 3x the price of the box I wanted to order lol.

Karina is A. avicularia not Gram, so more worried about her getting her legs caught in the screen. I have a million things that would have been more suitable for a terrestrial T that like things on the dry side.

Nada

1,000+ Post Club
3 Year Member
ah, sorry, got your spider confused with another members. lol it happens sometimes. Double As are definitely different than the Grams. Saran Wrap(wrap the screen), is a good way to keep humidity up, and cut down on the risk of your T getting stuck.

Bast

1,000+ Post Club
3 Year Member
No worries, lots of T's to keep track of lol :) Thanks for the suggestion. I'm going to assume I wouldn't want to saran wrap the whole top, so approx. how much of the screen area should I 'seal' off so to speak?

Nada

1,000+ Post Club
3 Year Member
No worries, lots of T's to keep track of lol :) Thanks for the suggestion. I'm going to assume I wouldn't want to saran wrap the whole top, so approx. how much of the screen area should I 'seal' off so to speak?

3/4 usually works well. but depends on the humidity in your house

Bast

1,000+ Post Club
3 Year Member
It's pretty dry here in Alberta, however our upstairs stays much more humid because of the placement of our bathroom. I have noticed some drying of the substrate, but most of it is still damp....though it is a 10 gallon and not really set up to hold the humidity atm, so I'll have a better idea once she's in a proper set up tomorrow. I'll do 3/4 and monitor it and go from there. Thanks for the advice!

Nada

1,000+ Post Club
3 Year Member
It's pretty dry here in Alberta, however our upstairs stays much more humid because of the placement of our bathroom. I have noticed some drying of the substrate, but most of it is still damp....though it is a 10 gallon and not really set up to hold the humidity atm, so I'll have a better idea once she's in a proper set up tomorrow. I'll do 3/4 and monitor it and go from there. Thanks for the advice!

Drying sub, isn't a bad thing just overflow the water bowl and keep the top mostly covered and your fine.
I did a thread this morning on water/humidity today. If you want to check it out, I'm pretty sure it's thorough, but hey, it was early lol.

Bast

1,000+ Post Club
3 Year Member
I have a portion of the screen taped (I made sure that there was no way she could get caught on the sticky part) atm, and that seems to have worked alright. I did read that thread earlier, and will revisit it tomorrow after I get her new home all set up!

jtrux

3 Year Member
Just to add to the humidity topic. Over the years I found myself dumping tons of water in an enclosure to keep humidity up and I didn't like it. Tried larger water bowls, live plants, all sorts of stupid crap and the only thing I have found that makes me happy is a simple and cheap humidifer. Buy a 30 dollar humidifer, modify it to except some pvc if it doesn't already and route it where you need it. you can get creative with ball valves and such to adjust flow if you have multiple "heads" to several enclosures to vary humidity to different species. Something i've daydreamed of would be to to have a plywood box, let's say 4' wide by 2' deep by 2' tall and seal it up pretty good with an acrylic front and stick all the humidity loving T's inside with appropriately vented containers and just route one humidifer to it. It's probably been done so I guess I won't be accepting any creative enclosure of the year awards but if anyone has a larger selection of tropical T's this would be a good idea.

Nada

1,000+ Post Club
3 Year Member
Just to add to the humidity topic. Over the years I found myself dumping tons of water in an enclosure to keep humidity up and I didn't like it. Tried larger water bowls, live plants, all sorts of stupid crap and the only thing I have found that makes me happy is a simple and cheap humidifer. Buy a 30 dollar humidifer, modify it to except some pvc if it doesn't already and route it where you need it. you can get creative with ball valves and such to adjust flow if you have multiple "heads" to several enclosures to vary humidity to different species. Something i've daydreamed of would be to to have a plywood box, let's say 4' wide by 2' deep by 2' tall and seal it up pretty good with an acrylic front and stick all the humidity loving T's inside with appropriately vented containers and just route one humidifer to it. It's probably been done so I guess I won't be accepting any creative enclosure of the year awards but if anyone has a larger selection of tropical T's this would be a good idea.

The issue I have with humidifiers, is that raising a room humidity, doesnt nessasarily raise an enclosures humidity. you could literally have all your Ts in a room with 75% humidity, but t he Ts could be at less then 40.
Water vapor rises, and if the vapor is not contained your Ts will likely miss out.

jtrux

3 Year Member
I agree about that BUT I think if you tried what I mentioned and you had the T's in a well vented enclosure you might be successful. Maybe i'll try it and find out.

Nada

1,000+ Post Club
3 Year Member
I agree about that BUT I think if you tried what I mentioned and you had the T's in a well vented enclosure you might be successful. Maybe i'll try it and find out.

Oh I agree, I was speaking on a humidifier as a sole means of Humidity, no modifications, just as is. I think It's a very interesting idea, and would love to see it applied.

AlyeskaWolf

3 Year Member
To a new start Kenny :) I will be looking into those sweater boxes.

kenny.jpg

Latest posts