• Are you a Tarantula hobbyist? If so, we invite you to join our community! Once you join you'll be able to post messages, upload pictures of your pets and enclosures and chat with other Tarantula enthusiasts. Sign up today!

Changed my terrestrial enclosures

2G33K4U

3 Year Member
I replaced my terrestrial enclosures from these opaque containers to crystal clear stack able ones. I no longer have to pop the lids to check on the T's. I also no longer have to pop lids to water them :)
20141101_104837.jpg
20141101_141233.jpg
20141101_141246.jpg
20141101_141253.jpg
20141101_142040.jpg
20141101_142051.jpg
20141101_081216.jpg

2G33K4U

3 Year Member
I found out hard way oatmeal substrate for roach colony is bad. I got a flour mite infestation because of it. I redid my roach colony because of it and the mites have spread to T's. from what i have read they are harmless and they will die off if you take away the food source. Now i need to find something else to use to feed the roaches. Some people mention dog food is it the dried or the wet type? I read that pet food can also be a food supply for these mites. Springtails will kill the mites but that is only useful for the T's that have a moist substrate. But on the other hand my dry enclosure do not seem to have mites so guess that aspect is moot. I will be baking the cork bark to kill any that have hid in the bark and let them die off on their own and watch the T's closely. I really do not want to rehouse 43 tarantulas. I can also let the enclosures dry out a bit for a few days and just be diligent on the water dishes for the T's that i have dishes. I do not use them in my slings or my Arboreal enclosures not enough room for them. I am pretty religious about checking moisture on a daily basis.

Martin Oosthuysen

1,000+ Post Club
3 Year Member
Thank you! I was lifting the main molt away with little plastic tongs, and I attempted to lift this part too, as I thought it was just sitting on top of him- I stopped as soon as I realized it was attached- I hope I didn't hurt him!

Hello
That's weird,you have mites from oatmeal ? Could you please show me the oatmeal you use,since I'm from South Africa and here I use oats and I've never had a mite or any type of infestation. Maybe oats and oatmeal are more different than I thought and was suggested as an overseas substitute. I will take photos tonight showing no mite problems,also I do not wet my substrate/oats.

Martin Oosthuysen

1,000+ Post Club
3 Year Member
http://www.dendroboard.com/forum/food-feeding/38844-mites-oatmeal.html

Here they speak of it briefly,from what I can see oatmeal has pieces of grain etc where oats from South Africa doesn't and the mites flourish from that and are imbedded there. Another bothersome thing,mites need a water source or they die. Seems oatmeal is the issue,and I'm sorry I suggested it as a substitute not knowing it is an issue with mites. I can say that with oats,not one issue not one mite not one infestation at all. This is two separate large tubs,with different colonies.

Last edited:

2G33K4U

3 Year Member
standard Quaker classic oatmeal. I use dishes of water crystals the substrate was dry. The enclosure was very sealed which I am guessing got humidity going. I am guessing one of the 3 Quarts I bought probably had some in it already.
when i first saw the specs i thought it was just dust or something from doing rehousing & enclosure cleaning Then for some reason I decided to use my phone zoom feature and saw everything moving. I will switch to dog food and veggies for now and let the mites die from lack of food. They are very specialized in what they eat and will die off if they do not have the flour/wheat / cereal they require. been doing a lot of research since i got the mites.

Martin Oosthuysen

1,000+ Post Club
3 Year Member
standard Quaker classic oatmeal. I use dishes of water crystals the substrate was dry. The enclosure was very sealed which I am guessing got humidity going. I am guessing one of the 3 Quarts I bought probably had some in it already.
when i first saw the specs i thought it was just dust or something from doing rehousing & enclosure cleaning Then for some reason I decided to use my phone zoom feature and saw everything moving. I will switch to dog food and veggies for now and let the mites die from lack of food. They are very specialized in what they eat and will die off if they do not have the flour/wheat / cereal they require. been doing a lot of research since i got the mites.

Luckily for me I have not used oatmeal,like I have said no infestation at all. I have not added water nor water crystals my,my colony gets water and food from the oranges. As I have read elsewhere,oatmeal seems to be an issue not oats. As for dogfood,I will stick to my way for now since dog food additives are said not to be that healthy. I say again,I am sorry it turned out that way for you I was advised that is a replacement for oats abroad.

MatthewM1

3 Year Member
Yeah skip the dog food, they don't need animal proteins in their diet. I blend all my fruits and veggies along with oatmeal and it allows me to control how much food I add, nothing is left longer than 24 hours. And I feed 1-2 times a week. They won't starve without constant food. Another benefit of this I found was that the little nymphs that are hungry between feedings will munch the adults that die from old age before they can rot, attract flies, etc.

Latest posts