• Are you a Tarantula hobbyist? If so, we invite you to join our community! Once you join you'll be able to post messages, upload pictures of your pets and enclosures and chat with other Tarantula enthusiasts. Sign up today!

Champagne Tarantula

Aimee Burrows

3 Year Member
Hey there

My husband and I got a champagne Tarantula on Sunday and because we are new at looking after spiders I was just wondering if we were doing this right or if we need to change it. Since getting her she hasn’t eaten, been really slow and not burrowing. We have her a cricket but she wasn’t interested in it. She is only little compared to the photos I have seen when I have googled her. I am not sure how old she is or anything. The bottom of her home is made of a mix of reptile sand and insect substrates. We have been keeping it moist and have added a small dish of water. She has a little hollow fish tunnel thing that she likes to sit in.

Can anyone help or let me know if there is anything I can do

Cheers

Attachments

• 0B817B66-85DF-4033-A1A6-6BC3C521F2D0.jpeg
    0B817B66-85DF-4033-A1A6-6BC3C521F2D0.jpeg
    1.6 MB · Views: 38
  • 603C3E64-74FC-405D-BF39-01A15009171E.jpeg
    603C3E64-74FC-405D-BF39-01A15009171E.jpeg
    1.5 MB · Views: 38

Enn49

Staff member
1,000+ Post Club
3 Year Member
Tarantula Club Member
Could you give its species name rather than the common name? Many common names refer to more than one species making it difficult to give advice on husbandry.

Tgotty90

3 Year Member
As enn said the scientific name will help tell us what you have and we can go from there. No matter what it is though give it some time to settle in, I have some that will adjust and eat day one and others can take weeks to settle in and get their first meal. Also id trade that sand out for some coconut fiber or regular old potting soil. If it requires any moisture add some moss or vermiculite to help keep up humidity.

Aimee Burrows

3 Year Member
Fairly sure its a Selenotypus Robustus. It looks very similar to the one in your Vid Shampaign. SO Coco peat and spray once a week? And with the spray how moist should I make the substrate? I believe its an arid species so I'm guessing not too much?

PS Thanks for all your help