• Are you a Tarantula hobbyist? If so, we invite you to join our community! Once you join you'll be able to post messages, upload pictures of your pets and enclosures and chat with other Tarantula enthusiasts. Sign up today!

Can I cremate my tarantula?

ecg

Hi all,
My rose hair died after 25 years of life. I wanted to cremate her so I could turn her ashes into glass however from what I’ve read cremation wouldn’t work because of their exoskeleton. Has anyone ever had one cremated or can advise?

thank you

DustyD

1,000+ Post Club
3 Year Member
Tarantula Club Member
That is an interesting question. I have never tried it, but I would think there would be some ashes left. I wouldn't think much solid would remain after such high heat.

Teresaisrad

3 Year Member
Tarantula Club Member
Like stated before me, I'm not sure much of the body would be left behind, However there are many other ways of preserving our beloved spoods.

When my Rosea passed I was much more inexperienced and just kept her fangs encased in a resin necklace.

You can also youtube other ways of preserving. I'm keen to the taxidermy / shadow box.

Slinglife

I have had nothing but loss lately. I usually put them in a metal coffee can with a little bit of twigs and gas and send them to Valhalla.

Baz

Hi all,
My rose hair died after 25 years of life. I wanted to cremate her so I could turn her ashes into glass however from what I’ve read cremation wouldn’t work because of their exoskeleton. Has anyone ever had one cremated or can advise?

thank you
When my red knee died after having her for 20 years. I sent her to a company called Dead Set to have her preserved and mounted. I'm waiting for her to be sent back now

Attachments

• Screenshot_20210625-143308_Messenger.jpg
    Screenshot_20210625-143308_Messenger.jpg
    670.1 KB · Views: 21

ecg

Like stated before me, I'm not sure much of the body would be left behind, However there are many other ways of preserving our beloved spoods.

When my Rosea passed I was much more inexperienced and just kept her fangs encased in a resin necklace.

You can also youtube other ways of preserving. I'm keen to the taxidermy / shadow box.
I think the resin in a good idea. I’ve bought a kit will do a few practice tries on other material before I go near her!!

ecg

Hi ecg, The first thing I would do if you are still undecided on what to do with your tarantula is put her in the freezer for preservation purposes.

Secondly, I'd take a look at this epoxy thread, Thread 'Epoxy resin for preserving molts' https://www.tarantulaforum.com/threads/epoxy-resin-for-preserving-molts.27243/ . There is lots of info on products, ideas, other uses.

Cremation. Not sure.

Following this thread.
Grape

PS, sorry she's gone.
Definitely thinking resin road is a good one for me. Means I’ll be able to see her always.

Baz

I think the resin in a good idea. I’ve bought a kit will do a few practice tries on other material before I go near her!!
Have you got hot set or cold set resin as hot set quick drying resin can burn you tarantula

mcquilliaa

My T just recently passed away and I’ve been looking for ways to preserve it. I love the necklace idea could you tell me
How you did it?

Teresaisrad

3 Year Member
Tarantula Club Member
My T just recently passed away and I’ve been looking for ways to preserve it. I love the necklace idea could you tell me
How you did it?
I removed her fangs and chelicerae with tweezers and made sure to clean out the innards with a cotton swab. Went to Michaels or any craft store and looked in the jewelry section for a locket or framed pendant. Also got some UV resin and a lamp so I could have it set immediately and in my experience, there are less bubbles than if you were to use a resin you have to mix.

Latest posts