• Are you a Tarantula hobbyist? If so, we invite you to join our community! Once you join you'll be able to post messages, upload pictures of your pets and enclosures and chat with other Tarantula enthusiasts. Sign up today!

Can anyone tell me the difference between:

Psyrocke

3 Year Member
Tapinauchenius plumipes and Tapinauchenius cupreus?

I know what the common names are (Mahogany Tree Spider and Purple Tree Spider respectively), which sometimes give a visual cue as to the difference, but I don't see it in the adult specimens. Or, alternatively, could someone point me to where I can read what the difference is?

Thanks!

Psyrocke

3 Year Member
Hey some is more than what I found!

Edit: According to this they are both brown, but cupreus is more metallic/bronze than brown. Whereas plumipes is brown and more defensive. Also, different locales.

Psyrocke

3 Year Member
Um, more individual taste and age. Juvies tend to hide/burrow/put up dirt curtains more. I only have juvies. My violaceus is more active than my sp Colombia. What TENDS to happen is late evening they hang out, but as soon as they enclosure is touched or opened (with my two) they bolt to their "hides". But you can catch them out, and they eat out in the open.

They are super fast though! But the two I have prefer to hide than attack or stand their ground. I am getting a sp Carribben Diamond later this week, or early next but not sure how that will be or its personality will be. I will attach a pic of my newest settling in and finally putting up her curtains, she's kinda making a tunnel.

Psyrocke

3 Year Member
Here is Miwi (Tappi violaceus) starting her construction about 2-3 weeks after being here. They do take a while to settle in.
photo (3).JPG
If you look between that yellow 'shrub' and the dirt clump, you can see that it is being held up by webbing through the reflection.

MassExodus

1,000+ Post Club
3 Year Member
Um, more individual taste and age. Juvies tend to hide/burrow/put up dirt curtains more. I only have juvies. My violaceus is more active than my sp Colombia. What TENDS to happen is late evening they hang out, but as soon as they enclosure is touched or opened (with my two) they bolt to their "hides". But you can catch them out, and they eat out in the open.

They are super fast though! But the two I have prefer to hide than attack or stand their ground. I am getting a sp Carribben Diamond later this week, or early next but not sure how that will be or its personality will be. I will attach a pic of my newest settling in and finally putting up her curtains, she's kinda making a tunnel.
Excellent, thanks:) I know all of them, or most, hide. I just don't like the ones who NEVER come out..I'll never buy another irminia, or Poeci, most likely. I have no interest in gambling on whether or not its going to ever show itself..

Psyrocke

3 Year Member
Welcome. I love my taps. From what I hear, gigas also tend to stay visible alot (Tappi gigas). Those guys are orange, but they are more aggressive than the rest, defitnitely the most defensive from what I understand. My first was a sp Colombia and was a super good choice I think for a first Tappi. I got her from JRs Inverts, but really any Tappi is good!

MassExodus

1,000+ Post Club
3 Year Member
Welcome. I love my taps. From what I hear, gigas also tend to stay visible alot (Tappi gigas). Those guys are orange, but they are more aggressive than the rest, defitnitely the most defensive from what I understand. My first was a sp Colombia and was a super good choice I think for a first Tappi. I got her from JRs Inverts, but really any Tappi is good!
I figure it's one of the genera I need to experience. Eventually:D

Psyrocke

3 Year Member
I figure it's one of the genera I need to experience. Eventually:D
YES!

After telling @Tomoran about my lovely Tappi experience and showing off my girl(?) pre-molt, it inspired him to get some gigas I believe. They are awesome! While they do take a while to settle in, once they do settle, awesome webbers, great personality. They are arboreal new worlds, but they don't have uricating hairs.

Psyrocke

3 Year Member
Hmm, now I'm wondering if they make up for the lack of urticating hairs with more potent venom? Like Psalmopoeus? Thanks for the research project as well :)
They do. But only gigas seem to be keen on standing ground. And I have yet to find any bite reports on them, but I also didn't look super hard. They tend to more retreat to safety, aside from the gigas. And you're welcome :).

Psyrocke

3 Year Member
Thanks, I took a quick look, but it is a bit out of date. Recently the purperuas has been reclassified as Tapinauchenius violaceus. I was looking for a little bit more recent info, since there has been some changes in the genus.

leaveittoweaver

3 Year Member
I also have a T. Sp Columbia. She stays out quite often but like someone else said, hides quickly when the enclosure is touched. Good eater, beautiful T. She's inspired me to want more taps for sure.

Psyrocke

3 Year Member
I had seen pics of subcuelarus and elanae which inspired me to get them, but the T. sp Colombia was my actual first and she definitely inspired me to continue more. She is currently out getting ready to take down a cricket dropped in earlier. She ate all the way up until 2 days before her first molt.

I have my third tap species coming in soon, and I am SOOOOO excited!

Last edited:

MassExodus

1,000+ Post Club
3 Year Member
That was a fantastic read. Is it me or did that paper seem more directed at hobbyists than most? There was a lot of useful info in there, as well as interesting things like the tree ants..anymore links like that are welcome :D

Latest posts