• Are you a Tarantula hobbyist? If so, we invite you to join our community! Once you join you'll be able to post messages, upload pictures of your pets and enclosures and chat with other Tarantula enthusiasts. Sign up today!

Can a female lay eggs without mating?

death_by_stere0

A few months back, I bought a Honduran curly hair at an expo. She was said to be around a year old. She used to be quite active at night, at least for a tarantula. She would roam around her enclosure quite a bit. Recently, she's been more reclusive, only staying inside of her webbed-up cork bark hide. I regularly fill her water and feed her, but I usually don't see her. I'll just drop a cricket in and they'll disappear or I'll find her water dish filled with substrate a day or so after I clean and fill it. About a week ago I decided to lift the hide and peek in, just to make sure she's not dead or anything. I saw her abdomen looking big and healthy and her legs moved when I disturbed her home, so I figured she's just fine and I left her alone. But today, I decided to check her again. Surprise, surprise. She's guarding a freaking egg sac, her abdomen seemingly half the size as before. Could she have layed eggs without mating? Or maybe she's mated before and still had sperm saved from then? I'm not even sure if they're mature enough to mate at this age. I have no clue about tarantula mating, and I've never wanted to know about it. I just like keeping tarantulas as pets, and I just got way more than I signed up for. If it isn't possible for them to be infertile, how do I make sure they develop ok?

death_by_stere0

52CEB7E8-04DE-4651-BDE8-651CAE674728.jpeg

Arachnoclown

1,000+ Post Club
3 Year Member
Tarantula Club Member
Yes they can lay phantom eggsacks. It's pretty common for them to do this from time to time. I'd let her keep it about 28 days then take it from her. Just incase she was breed before you got her. At that point they would be eggs with legs and we can help you from there.

Enn49

Staff member
1,000+ Post Club
3 Year Member
Tarantula Club Member
Yes, I've had 2 Ts lay infertile eggs without ever being with males. I left them both with their sacs and found that they both abandoned them after a few weeks. I had both mine from little slings so I knew those sacs were duds but as @Arachnoclown says yours may have been with a male before you got her.