• Are you a Tarantula hobbyist? If so, we invite you to join our community! Once you join you'll be able to post messages, upload pictures of your pets and enclosures and chat with other Tarantula enthusiasts. Sign up today!

Camera Suggestions

TokeHound

How expensive is it to get a camera that has better quality than a phone camera? I noticed some Tarantula hobbyists use a micro lense to get up close with their T's. I would like to get some quality photos of my slings growing up so I was just curious, what kind of camera do you use? Suggestions on where to get one? (And how much is it) Thanks!

Josh

Administrator
Staff member
1,000+ Post Club
I've seen some decent add-on lenses for iphones and stuff. Might be something to check out

Vermis

Tarantula Club Member
I use a Panasonic Lumix GX85. It's a mirrorless Micro 4/3 camera, meaning the digital sensor is smaller than a full-frame, and the viewfinder uses a digital image rather than a direct reflection of the image passing through the lens. It makes the set-up more compact and a bit cheaper than a full-frame DSLR too.
On top of that, the image cropping of the smaller sensor means the focal length of the lenses 'counts as' a full-frame lens with twice the focal length. I.e. I have a telephoto zoom lens that goes up to 200mm. It's equivalent to a full-frame owns that goes up to 400mm, which would be a chunky piece of kit.

All that makes it popular with wildlife photographers, and I've seen some pros get fantastic results. It's the reason I got a 'proper' camera too. Only thing is, the smaller sensor has real trouble gathering light in dim conditions. (i.e. in a forest, creeping up on deer) You have three options: set the ISO pretty high and get grainy photos; set the shutter speed way low and get blurry photos; or shell out for a big fancy lens with a really wide maximum aperture.

I found all this out after buying the camera. :) But I'm getting way off topic here, I mention it just for full disclosure. Caveat emptor and all that jazz. For close-up well-lit shots of spiders and other inverts, it's pretty good. The standard lens that came with the camera does a decent job of that.
For getting shots so close you can count the individual hairs on your spider's toes: a proper macro lens, you're going to pay a bit for that, but there are cheaper alternatives. I use a set of 'macro tubes' in the meantime, which basically put a bit more space between the camera and lens, about a cm or two, and does things to the focal length. Not quite as sharp or with as much depth of field as a macro lens, at least according to articles I've read online, but they still do a good job. There are other cheap fixes that I can't quite remember off the top of my head.

The camera kit cost me £600. The macro tubes, I forget. About £20 - 25, I think. If it was three figures the exact price would be etched into my brain!

Oursapoil

1,000+ Post Club
3 Year Member
Tarantula Club Member
Good morning,
I have been using this with my iPhone 11 :)
81A28142-6FCC-44B4-9C74-9B841ECEBDD8.png

Tarantulafeets

I started out using the same clip-on lens @Oursapoil suggested, and got some pretty good results. But I just wanted a bit more, so I got into micro 4/3 like @Vermis did, and got a Lumix G7 with a 14 - 42mm and 45 - 150mm for around $600. I got some extension tubes and used those with the 14 - 42mm, along with the built in flash and a homemade diffuser, and it worked pretty well. There was some chromatic aberration on the sides if you zoomed in a bit, which was a little annoying though.
P1060512-01.jpg

I then recently got a new lens, the 7artisans 60mm f2.8 macro mkII, which is all manual. It can do 1:1, and there is no CA, which is much better. The only downside is that it doesn't have any stabilization whatsoever, and my camera doesn't as well, so it can be really shaky at times, or hard to focus. But when it is in focus, it can really shine .
P1070298-01.jpeg

P1060959-01.jpeg

A clip-on lens for your phone will still work great, and don't underestimate phone cameras, as even though they have small sensors, with enough light, they can still make a good picture.

Tarantulafeets

Also:

m0lsx

Staff member
1,000+ Post Club
3 Year Member
Tarantula Club Member
My wife uses a free app, that allows her to take better photo's on her phone. And it does make a big difference. I think it changes the way the flash works. & also allows her to magnify images. My wifes phone is android, but google may offer up some options for iphones too.

Oursapoil

1,000+ Post Club
3 Year Member
Tarantula Club Member
I started out using the same clip-on lens @Oursapoil suggested, and got some pretty good results. But I just wanted a bit more, so I got into micro 4/3 like @Vermis did, and got a Lumix G7 with a 14 - 42mm and 45 - 150mm for around $600. I got some extension tubes and used those with the 14 - 42mm, along with the built in flash and a homemade diffuser, and it worked pretty well. There was some chromatic aberration on the sides if you zoomed in a bit, which was a little annoying though.
View attachment 58820

I then recently got a new lens, the 7artisans 60mm f2.8 macro mkII, which is all manual. It can do 1:1, and there is no CA, which is much better. The only downside is that it doesn't have any stabilization whatsoever, and my camera doesn't as well, so it can be really shaky at times, or hard to focus. But when it is in focus, it can really shine .
View attachment 58821
View attachment 58822

A clip-on lens for your phone will still work great, and don't underestimate phone cameras, as even though they have small sensors, with enough light, they can still make a good picture.
Stunning pictures! Now the only issue with your equipment is the cost and how I would be torn apart between buying it or buying more Ts :p

Latest posts