• Are you a Tarantula hobbyist? If so, we invite you to join our community! Once you join you'll be able to post messages, upload pictures of your pets and enclosures and chat with other Tarantula enthusiasts. Sign up today!

C. Versicolor sling/juv enclosure

DuntyDunt

Tarantula Club Member
Hello,

I have had a C. Versicolor sling for about 6 months now, and it is about 1.25"- 1.5" / 3-4cm, and I had it housed in a tall plastic cup until now when I felt it was too big and it became dangerous to feed it without risk of escape.

So, I purchased an Exo-Terra Nano Tall enclosure, which is 20x20x30cm, and I know that is quite big for it right now I feel like it will grow into it fast and I have decorated it very nicely.
However, the enclosure has a steel-mesh top, and so my question is, how big of a problem / danger is the mesh, and what should I do if it is deemed too much of a danger?
I have researched a lot and very few people have had Ts escape by chewing through the mesh due to it taking a while so you have time to act, but I'm curious of people's experiences.

Pompchin

Mesh tops can be dangerous, Tarantula Collective mentions in a few "Mistakes that Beginners Make" videos that Tarantulas can get their little legs stuck, and either be trapped for hours or tear their leg off.

If your enclosure has mesh it is best to replace it with a sheet of acrylic. You don't want to risk your pet being seriously injured. There are a few videos on YouTube of how to do this

I recently purchased a ZooMed Creature Den with a mesh top. I was able to replace the mesh by

First pulling out the silicone seal that was holding it in place. The mesh fell right out when I tore this up.

Next I measured the empty space left. I went to the hardware store and got a sheet of acrylic, a box cutter, and cutting protection gloves. I used the straight edge of a metal yardstick to measure and trace the appropriate shape.

I didn't have a clampdown hold the yardstick to the acrylic, so I traced lines with marker and went over the lines, slowly at first, with the box cutter blade. After a made a groove I let this guide the blade and I start going over it with more pressure.

I used a drill to create air holes, but I ha e learned a hot nail would also work

Once I had the acrylic cut out and the air holes produced, I covered the frame of the lid with a thick coat of aquarium silicone (it must be aquarium/ pet safe!) and pressed the acrylic in. I went along the edges with another layer of silicone, ensuring it had contact with both the frame and the acrylic.

Allow to dry for 48 hours and your spidey grind now has a safe new home.

Pompchin

Mesh tops can be dangerous, Tarantula Collective mentions in a few "Mistakes that Beginners Make" videos that Tarantulas can get their little legs stuck, and either be trapped for hours or tear their leg off.

If your enclosure has mesh it is best to replace it with a sheet of acrylic. You don't want to risk your pet being seriously injured. There are a few videos on YouTube of how to do this

I recently purchased a ZooMed Creature Den with a mesh top. I was able to replace the mesh by

First pulling out the silicone seal that was holding it in place. The mesh fell right out when I tore this up.

Next I measured the empty space left. I went to the hardware store and got a sheet of acrylic, a box cutter, and cutting protection gloves. I used the straight edge of a metal yardstick to measure and trace the appropriate shape.

I didn't have a clampdown hold the yardstick to the acrylic, so I traced lines with marker and went over the lines, slowly at first, with the box cutter blade. After a made a groove I let this guide the blade and I start going over it with more pressure.

I used a drill to create air holes, but I ha e learned a hot nail would also work

Once I had the acrylic cut out and the air holes produced, I covered the frame of the lid with a thick coat of aquarium silicone (it must be aquarium/ pet safe!) and pressed the acrylic in. I went along the edges with another layer of silicone, ensuring it had contact with both the frame and the acrylic.

Allow to dry for 48 hours and your spidey grind now has a safe new home.
*friend, not grind

Latest posts