• Are you a Tarantula hobbyist? If so, we invite you to join our community! Once you join you'll be able to post messages, upload pictures of your pets and enclosures and chat with other Tarantula enthusiasts. Sign up today!

C lividum

James1975

My c lividum has been acting strange sealing of her burrow which means premolt or do not disturb and then opening back up again and she has done this for some time.the other day I saw her booty up in the air spinning web from the hole up to the lid.so today I've checked on her I opened the lid which broke her webbing I dropped in a super worm.and to my astonishment I saw a little spider coming up the hole but seemed bigger than a sling the she came up and sealed the hole of. Any su suggestions what to do.

ilovebrachys

1,000+ Post Club
3 Year Member
My c lividum has been acting strange sealing of her burrow which means premolt or do not disturb and then opening back up again and she has done this for some time.the other day I saw her booty up in the air spinning web from the hole up to the lid.so today I've checked on her I opened the lid which broke her webbing I dropped in a super worm.and to my astonishment I saw a little spider coming up the hole but seemed bigger than a sling the she came up and sealed the hole of. Any su suggestions what to do.
Is your C. Lividum an adult female?

ilovebrachys

1,000+ Post Club
3 Year Member
Yes wild caught.i had het from my local reptile shop.
Oh... From what I have gathered from your post you probably had a gravid female there so it's likely you've got a babies down in her burrow? ... I really think you need advice on what to do here @Phil, @Arachnoclown, @Casey K. Can you help?
Its not something you want to mess with without knowing the best way to go about it - hope that helps

James1975

Oh... From what I have gathered from your post you probably had a gravid female there so it's likely you've got a babies down in her burrow? ... I really think you need advice on what to do here @Phil, @Arachnoclown, @Casey K. Can you help?
Its not something you want to mess with without knowing the best way to go about it - hope that helps
Yeah thanks because I dont know .

Casey K.

1,000+ Post Club
3 Year Member
Tarantula Club Member
Is there any way you can upload pics to gallery? It seems she may have dropped a sac and has successfully produced. If she has, you will need to get some condiment cups (they usually sell these at Walmart in 50 lots- with lids for around $3). I would separate mother, first, and this is going to be a task. Lividums are known for their attitudes and if she is a mother now she is going to be defensive even more-so than before. I would get a large cup (32 oz or bigger) and use tongs to gently guide her in there. She will put up a fuss but it will be nearly impossible to separate her from babies if she is in there with them (which she has a right to do because she is only protecting them). Once you get her in a "secure" place (lid the cup or container you have her in and place her somewhere safe), start putting your babies in the condiment containers (using tongs, of course). It will take a while- and I wish I were there to help you- but it should be done. I'm not certain about H. lividum being a communal species. It's not unheard of for some tarantula species to be communal but as far as living goes, I have never kept them communal or known of anyone in this hobby keeping them communal. Hope this little bit of info helps!

@Arachnoclown you have any input on this?

Casey K.

1,000+ Post Club
3 Year Member
Tarantula Club Member
She was bad enough before she will be even worse now.and the downside is destroying her home which she has made nice.

Yeah but sometimes it is necessary in circumstances like this. The mother can always make a new home. The chances are high that the babies will consume each other. The only way to avoid this is to separate mom from babies and then separate the babies.

Phil

1,000+ Post Club
3 Year Member
She was bad enough before she will be even worse now.and the downside is destroying her home which she has made nice.
agree with @Casey K. sacs usually taken from the mum after about 30 days to finish the final phase if incubation and to look after the Eggs With Legs (EWL) before the first true moult which is when separation will need to be planned otherwise they will just eat each other.

Necessary evil to see what's going on I am afraid. Do you know when the sac was laid?

James1975

agree with @Casey K. sacs usually taken from the mum after about 30 days to finish the final phase if incubation and to look after the Eggs With Legs (EWL) before the first true moult which is when separation will need to be planned otherwise they will just eat each other.

Necessary evil to see what's going on I am afraid. Do you know when the sac was laid?
I've no idea when the sac was laid. there is no clear window to see I did see a baby coming up the burrow.

Phil

1,000+ Post Club
3 Year Member
I've no idea when the sac was laid. there is no clear window to see I did see a baby coming up the burrow.
if you have seen the baby, get mum out and then grab yourself a load of little pots to put the babies in. Move the enclosure into another larger box or move to the bath (blocking any drain holes) as they will have buried themselves and you will need to check through all the sub to find them, plus once you start rummaging, they are likely to bolt. Congrats. Now the hard work begins. ha ha
Check your local reptile shop or on line live food provider can get you micro (hatchling) crickets. Flightless fruit flies or cut up micro meal worms will also do for food. At a push, cricket parts as well. If you have already seen some crawling up the burrow, they have either started to predate on each other or now ready to start hunting so time to get busy. :)

kitchen will soon look something like this...

LOL

Last edited:

James1975

if you have seen the baby, get mum out and then grab yourself a load of little pots to put the babies in. Move the enclosure into another larger box or move to the bath (blocking any drain holes) as they will have buried themselves and you will need to check through all the sub to find them, plus once you start rummaging, they are likely to bolt. Congrats. Now the hard work begins. ha ha
Check your local reptile shop or on line live food provider can get you micro (hatchling) crickets. Flightless fruit flies or cut up micro meal worms will also do for food. At a push, cricket parts as well. If you have already seen some crawling up the burrow, they have either started to predate on each other or now ready to start hunting so time to get busy. :)

kitchen will soon look something like this...

LOL
I've seen a load of them tried to get one but they only come up the burrow so far then go back down.and getting to the mother will be hard,they are quite big which means they have been there a while wish me luck I'm going to need it lol.

Casey K.

1,000+ Post Club
3 Year Member
Tarantula Club Member
I've seen a load of them tried to get one but they only come up the burrow so far then go back down.and getting to the mother will be hard,they are quite big which means they have been there a while wish me luck I'm going to need it lol.

We would love to see pictures if you would be willing to post them! :)

Latest posts