• Are you a Tarantula hobbyist? If so, we invite you to join our community! Once you join you'll be able to post messages, upload pictures of your pets and enclosures and chat with other Tarantula enthusiasts. Sign up today!

C Leetzi personality and handling

michelle789

I was just gifted a C Leetzi and obviously as a sling it seems fearful and skittish but I was curious if later on it will have any tolerance for being handled or if it will just hide away full time when we are around? Online info has been spotty.

Also I’ve heard some spiders like jumpers will get a custom to being handled. Do tarantulas specifically the C Leetzi as well?

An ideal tarantula for our family would be around 2 inches maximum size, docile, easy to handle, inquisitive (so comes out of hiding when there is activity around it). I know the H Chilensis would be a good fit but are also very rare.

Konstantin

3 Year Member
Hi
My C leetzi has been burrowed almost all of its life.It comes on the mouth of its burrow and sometimes out when pray is arround but its quick to retreat back in when disturbed.
I will not handle this species as is very fighty apart from all other reasons.
Regards Konstantin

michelle789

Hi
My C leetzi has been burrowed almost all of its life.It comes on the mouth of its burrow and sometimes out when pray is arround but its quick to retreat back in when disturbed.
I will not handle this species as is very fighty apart from all other reasons.
Regards Konstantin
Thank you so much for that information. I would have tried to read body language but you may have saved me from getting bitten. I appreciate it

Michelle

Konstantin

3 Year Member
I was just gifted a C Leetzi and obviously as a sling it seems fearful and skittish but I was curious if later on it will have any tolerance for being handled or if it will just hide away full time when we are around? Online info has been spotty.

Also I’ve heard some spiders like jumpers will get a custom to being handled. Do tarantulas specifically the C Leetzi as well?

An ideal tarantula for our family would be around 2 inches maximum size, docile, easy to handle, inquisitive (so comes out of hiding when there is activity around it). I know the H Chilensis would be a good fit but are also very rare.
Hi
Just had a proper read of your post.
Unfortunately all so called dwarf species are rather flighty snd skittish.Also spiders are instinctive creatures and behave (act) differently to other pets.They lack the brain capacity to bond,learn specific behaviour etc.
Also sometimes their personality shifts dramatically as they grow and also between individual moults.
Due to those and other reasons they are best kept as observ only pets(like fish)
Handling is always a bad idea and is just putting yourself and the spider at risk.
Regards Konstantin

PanzoN88

1,000+ Post Club
3 Year Member
I have no experience with the aforementioned species, so the post above sums up everything I’ve heard about them.

Tarantulas will never become accustomed to handling. Jumpers are pretty intelligent from what I hear, but tarantulas act purely on instinct, the H. chilensis is no different. My females were skittish and defensive as opposed to mellow like my 2nd mature male. Tarantulas in general do not benefit from any human interaction. They are cool pets to raise and observe however. If you want something small that is out at least semi-often, check out the Aphonopelma genus, specifically those that are found here in the states.

Latest posts