• Are you a Tarantula hobbyist? If so, we invite you to join our community! Once you join you'll be able to post messages, upload pictures of your pets and enclosures and chat with other Tarantula enthusiasts. Sign up today!

Burrowing slings + water

Ibnhamar

So my G. Pulchra, as I've seen is very normal, has been in it's *adorable* lil burrow for quite some time now, which I know not to disturb or worry too much about. But one question: with the general idea of slings needing more attention to water, how can I effectively deliver water to it if it's barricaded up? It has a water dish, and done a few different things hoping one method works - lightly misting the substrate just around the burrow wall area, light misting of the wall beside an opening to the burrow (still barricaded, but you could say this opening is to the "first room" of the burrow.), and dropping water down a hole to try to get it down to a lower soil level if my T is burrowing to find moisture.

How do you generally reconcile a sling's need for water with those walled-up barricading long periods of pre-molt?

Lawrence b

3 Year Member
If your sling barricaded itself in Its most likely getting ready for a molt .So disturb little as possible ,leaving the matter in your sling hands because they generally know best .Grammostolas are not found of moist conditions .

Arachnoclown

1,000+ Post Club
3 Year Member
Tarantula Club Member
Proper watering of your enclosure should ensure moisture in the burrow. When you over flow the water dish, some water should be going deep into the substrate. This is why misting a enclosure is bad, it just evaporates. Your bottom layers of your substrate should have enough moisture in it for your spider. If your spider is thirty in its burrow the will dig down a little bit. They will suck moisture out of substrate if needed. However you don't want to make it swampy...you should be able to see the difference between the dry top and the moist bottom layer.