• Are you a Tarantula hobbyist? If so, we invite you to join our community! Once you join you'll be able to post messages, upload pictures of your pets and enclosures and chat with other Tarantula enthusiasts. Sign up today!

Burrowed, now molted! Now what do I do?

Leejin

3 Year Member
Hello everyone. First post!
I have read SO so so much about Ts in the last little bit since I've had mine.

TL;DR
I was digging some post holes at a friend's house and found a 3" Female T about 3 feet in the ground. I was so excited, I decided to keep her.
I believe she is a female, no hooks on the front legs for mating.

drBkiJc.jpg

So, after a few days she burrowed under this pot I have and I haven't seen her since.
I figured out I could check under the enclosure and sure enough, there she was. Just chilling.
I would check on her every few days, fill her water.. spray the coconut stuff, etc..
Well, last night I found a molt next to her and she's a little bigger! (I think)

I'm so excited. I want to feed her some crickets or something, but I'm not sure where to proceed.

I looked around, but haven't been able to find anything on the net this specific, so what do I do?

Thanks,
Leejin

Edit: I forgot to add, I live in Southwest Utah. We have tons of Ts here. This is the first one I've decided to keep in my adult life. (Tons as a kid)

Attachments

• IMG_20150818_170003.jpg
    IMG_20150818_170003.jpg
    3.1 MB · Views: 15
Last edited:

Entity

1,000+ Post Club
3 Year Member
If she molted...then leave her alone for a week before u try to feed her anything. They need to harden completely before u try to feed or the feeder might do damage to the spider. Also what species is it? do u need to be spraying the substrate? is it a desert species? if so then a water dish will do for humidity. dont need to be misting.

Leejin

3 Year Member
I've only misted once, so thanks, I'll stop doing that. I just keep filling this little water dish, and it evaporates every day. Haha. She isn't coming out every night, is she? I have no idea of the species. Can you tell by geographic region (Southwestern Utah) and the photo I have attached?
How do females hunt while burrowed? Or do they only surface at night every few weeks?

Entity

1,000+ Post Club
3 Year Member
Aphonopelma iodius (Desert Tarantula) possibly. Put in a bigger water dish. And desert species like to hangout in their burrow until something comes along for them to eat. If u can not watch her eat then put something in there for her and if she has not eaten it by the next day. remove it. Right now she is probably stressed from being pulled from her known home. so let her acclimate for a while. they like to be left alone. Also it may still be a male just an immature one. males do not get tibial hooks untile their final molt, and not all species of Tarantula get them. The best way is to check its molt for a spermathecae look up how to sex my tarantula molt online ull find it.

Leejin

3 Year Member
Aphonopelma iodius (Desert Tarantula) possibly. Put in a bigger water dish. And desert species like to hangout in their burrow until something comes along for them to eat. If u can not watch her eat then put something in there for her and if she has not eaten it by the next day. remove it. Right now she is probably stressed from being pulled from her known home. so let her acclimate for a while. they like to be left alone. Also it may still be a male just an immature one. males do not get tibial hooks untile their final molt, and not all species of Tarantula get them. The best way is to check its molt for a spermathecae look up how to sex my tarantula molt online ull find it.

Ahh.. thanks, it's been about a month since I accidentally dug it out. I've only seen it eat one time.
It was around 3 feet underground. Even now, if there was a cricket in the enclosure, there's no way it'll know. Haha. Do I just have to get lucky in feeding when it's wanting food? (Seems easy, but it's hard. these things are like pet rocks.) X)

Thanks for the info.

Entity

1,000+ Post Club
3 Year Member
If she wants food and there is a cricket or something crawling around up there she will know. Just make sure she is not molting or freshly molted when u put something in there. try to feed once a week or every 2 weeks till she eats.

bpete

3 Year Member
I am by no means an expert but I would have to agree with entity on the species. A iodius does range into utah plus it seem to match with the photos I have seen. nice find. I am not sure if they get all the way up to me in the Salt lake area but possibly the west desert in Tooele county.

MassExodus

1,000+ Post Club
3 Year Member
What a gorgeous girl, congrats on the find. I've been thinking of some wild caught A hentzi or A anax projects here in south Texas. I used to see them all of the time, but since I got into the hobby four years ago I've only seen one on my property, a MM anax I believe...to be honest it's very difficult to tell the two species apart, for me anyway. I saw a mature male Aphonopelma chalcodes in a video that looked EXACTLY like an anax... I'd like to catch a few, breed them and release the adults, but first I have to study up on my Aphonopelma taxonomy...which is a horrible, frustrating joke...I get pissed off just thinking about taxonomy these days...it's no different anywhere in the US either...Aphonopelma need some taxonomical love...but then, so do all the other genus. Geni? Genuses? Whatever...

Chubbs

1,000+ Post Club
3 Year Member
Tarantulas are ambush predators. The wait for there prey to come to them.

Chubbs

1,000+ Post Club
3 Year Member
What a gorgeous girl, congrats on the find. I've been thinking of some wild caught A hentzi or A anax projects here in south Texas. I used to see them all of the time, but since I got into the hobby four years ago I've only seen one on my property, a MM anax I believe...to be honest it's very difficult to tell the two species apart, for me anyway. I saw a mature male Aphonopelma chalcodes in a video that looked EXACTLY like an anax... I'd like to catch a few, breed them and release the adults, but first I have to study up on my Aphonopelma taxonomy...which is a horrible, frustrating joke...I get pissed off just thinking about taxonomy these days...it's no different anywhere in the US either...Aphonopelma need some taxonomical love...but then, so do all the other genus. Geni? Genuses? Whatever...
Genera is the word you're looking for [emoji14]

Latest posts