• Are you a Tarantula hobbyist? If so, we invite you to join our community! Once you join you'll be able to post messages, upload pictures of your pets and enclosures and chat with other Tarantula enthusiasts. Sign up today!

Bump on tarantula?

Bugzrule

3 Year Member
So today I was given a juvie T.apophysis by a local pet shop, they said it had some sort of issue with it. It has this solid bump on the abdomen that they said appeared after the last molt. It has been acting normally, and has already eaten for me, but I’m not sure if the bump is some sort of cyst or infection. The T is captive bred, so I wasn’t thinking parasite, but I really don’t know for sure. The bump was covered in what looks like urticating hairs, so I gently wiped them off with a paintbrush. The bump itself is blackish in color, but it immediately got covered in hairs again, so I didn’t get a pic of that. If anyone knows what the problem is or how to cure it, I would greatly appreciate it. Thanks!

Attachments

• A4949D88-D8D0-41D2-BED6-7B6BF4443D39.jpeg
    A4949D88-D8D0-41D2-BED6-7B6BF4443D39.jpeg
    2 MB · Views: 24
  • 6693612C-8F99-4512-956B-830125E73AD2.jpeg
    6693612C-8F99-4512-956B-830125E73AD2.jpeg
    3.4 MB · Views: 21
  • 7BE91C67-66EE-46BB-95C6-25324C3331FC.jpeg
    7BE91C67-66EE-46BB-95C6-25324C3331FC.jpeg
    2.5 MB · Views: 19
  • 72D27C14-166F-45F0-8CBC-8146D7CB010E.jpeg
    72D27C14-166F-45F0-8CBC-8146D7CB010E.jpeg
    4 MB · Views: 24

m0lsx

Staff member
1,000+ Post Club
3 Year Member
Tarantula Club Member
Beyond the hobby & a few academics, very little is known about T's. Vets for example know nothing about T's. So it could be something like a cyst or a tumour. Or possibly nothing at all the worry about. But as there is no point in seeking medical advice from a vet, all we can do is try to keep them in good health & look after them to the best of our ability.

If it were me, I would feed an occasional beheaded Moriworm (also known as superworms) But not too often, as you don't want your T, to get fat. And just care for it as best you can. Just give it the best chance you can.

Bugzrule

3 Year Member
Beyond the hobby & a few academics, very little is known about T's. Vets for example know nothing about T's. So it could be something like a cyst or a tumour. Or possibly nothing at all the worry about. But as there is no point in seeking medical advice from a vet, all we can do is try to keep them in good health & look after them to the best of our ability.

If it were me, I would feed an occasional beheaded Moriworm (also known as superworms) But not too often, as you don't want your T, to get fat. And just care for it as best you can. Just give it the best chance you can.
Yeah, I wish there was more research on tarantula health, but I guess there isn't a huge demand for it lol. I wasn't going to go to a vet anyway, I see no point in paying for an appointment just for them to shrug their shoulders and tell me needs more substrate or something.

She did take a sub-adult Discoid (essentially Dubias, but Florida legal) no problem, so I don't quite think I need to pre-kill prey, but please correct me if I'm wrong. Would it be a bad idea to try to powerfeed her to get her to the next molt? And should I keep the substrate dry just incase she has a fungus infection or something? I have an MF T.stirmi, and she hates dry substrate, so I'm not sure if apophysis are the same way.
Thanks so much!

m0lsx

Staff member
1,000+ Post Club
3 Year Member
Tarantula Club Member
She did take a sub-adult Discoid (essentially Dubias, but Florida legal) no problem, so I don't quite think I need to pre-kill prey, but please correct me if I'm wrong.

The thing with superworms (Morioworms.) Is not that they are prekilled, to stop them from burrowing, but that they are such a good food, hence why they are not normally fed as regular food. As they would tend to make your T's overweight.

Bugzrule

3 Year Member
Hey everyone, update on the T.apophysis. The bump on her abdomen is still there, but the urticating hair fuzz that was covering it is gone, so we can see it better. Here are some pictures. Thanks!
CBCFFD99-1296-46E9-ADB5-F30CDEB6F0EE.jpeg
B2E409CD-D2BD-44A3-BEF1-BD798785F452.jpeg
9D3E5AFC-C6F2-44FA-A30A-27BD751AEA81.jpeg

I'm just wondering if this is something specific to theraposa. Every T.stirmi I see seems to have something going on with their abdomen
That and I've noticed the two I've been around for a good while are almost always on/in,or near their water dish.
I've never kept any of the three but seems like this is maybe a thing with them.

Latest posts