• Are you a Tarantula hobbyist? If so, we invite you to join our community! Once you join you'll be able to post messages, upload pictures of your pets and enclosures and chat with other Tarantula enthusiasts. Sign up today!

Building housing for a colony of B. lateralis

octanejunkie

1,000+ Post Club
3 Year Member
Tarantula Club Member
Do you find lots of gnats and fruit flies in and around your roach ranch?

octanejunkie

1,000+ Post Club
3 Year Member
Tarantula Club Member
i always wanted a blue crayfish ;)

I'm keeping marmorkrebs, Procambarus fallax forma virginalis, the self-cloning crayfish hence no genetic variation and they all look the same.

Blue crays, like P. clarkii or P. alleni, are super destructive and cannibalistic, and will make a mess of anything short of a rockscaped tank - but they are pretty, and have a temperament ranging from grumpy to aggressive - not as nice as a T can be

tspivey16

3 Year Member
Tharasoid - What local pet shop do you speak of that has the roach feeders? I too am in Central Ohio in the Columbus area. I am new to this hobby so looking for sources. I currently have a 3" GBB Female, a B. Smithi Sling and a LP Sling.

octanejunkie

1,000+ Post Club
3 Year Member
Tarantula Club Member
Noticed a sheet-ton of small bugs (probably mites) crawling on the glass inside the roach ranch tank this morning... suggestions?

spidey noob

3 Year Member
mites are a nightmare !!! im in the middle of dealing with an infestation in my Ts enclosures at the minute. (had to rehouse all 32 Ts)
i would recommend just scraping your collany of roaches !!! (& starting again) its just not worth risking your Ts health for a few roaches.

octanejunkie

1,000+ Post Club
3 Year Member
Tarantula Club Member
Sorry for long delay!

I agree and I did a bit of clean up and replaced all the soiled roach bedding (egg crate) - the next day there were few if any mites on the glass.

I'm actually not sure they are mites, but they are super small and oblong shaped, like dashes. I don't have strong enough magnification to see them with any real detail - but I suspect they are mites.

After doing a bit of research, I've found that mites are naturally occurring in many many places, including skin mites on humans, and that there is at least one specialized species of mite that lives on ****roaches eating mold off of their exockeletons (Popular Science, August 19, 2009, by Natalie Avon "Mites keep ****roaches mold-free"). While the study cited hissing ****roaches in particular, by Joshua Beniot. Interesting albeit a brief read.

After several days of monitoring the roach tank after changing their egg crate "bedding" no significant instances of mites seen... is it over?

octanejunkie

1,000+ Post Club
3 Year Member
Tarantula Club Member
I haven't seen any mites in at least a week or more, but since last night we've been bombarded by ants!

I doubt removing the food and water will drive them away...

I'm looking for a natural way of getting rid of ants now. UGH

RedCapTrio

1,000+ Post Club
3 Year Member
I haven't seen any mites in at least a week or more, but since last night we've been bombarded by ants!

I doubt removing the food and water will drive them away...

I'm looking for a natural way of getting rid of ants now. UGH

My noob suggestion is to rub petroleum jelly around the roach tank to deter ants away. Or place talc powder around the place, ants can't crawl over this since the powder will get to their joints (I honestly read this from somewhere). :D:T:

octanejunkie

1,000+ Post Club
3 Year Member
Tarantula Club Member
My noob suggestion is to rub petroleum jelly around the roach tank to deter ants away. Or place talc powder around the place, ants can't crawl over this since the powder will get to their joints (I honestly read this from somewhere). :D:T:
Blast from the past update

No mites in forever and ants were controlled with double sided tape wrapped around each leg of the stand the roach tank is on. Only thing I deal with is fruit flies and their larvae occasionally.

Our roach colony seems to manage itself based on the enclosure size and food supply, I'm not drowning in roaches, thankfully.

Sent from my Nexus 5X using Tapatalk

Whitelightning777

1,000+ Post Club
3 Year Member
There are predatory mites that can control the other types, typically from gardening centers. I've never used them myself but I heard that they are highly effective.

octanejunkie

1,000+ Post Club
3 Year Member
Tarantula Club Member
Fruit mostly, banana, mango, apple, carrot, strawberries, nothing acidic, and I mix up a protein gel made by Repashy meant for fish that the roaches devour.

Dustin Amack

3 Year Member
Fruit mostly, banana, mango, apple, carrot, strawberries, nothing acidic, and I mix up a protein gel made by Repashy meant for fish that the roaches devour.

Very helpful, thanks! since I only have small collections of feeders, would soaking a cotton ball work for their water source?

octanejunkie

1,000+ Post Club
3 Year Member
Tarantula Club Member
I appreciate all your help brother.

No worries, and on that note, make sure to keep the roach's food fresh, don't let it mold or spoil.

I use little plastic containers from restaurants (like for salsa to go) for feeding roaches so the food doesn't get dragged around. A Popsicle stick ramp lets the pinheads get access to the food. Lol

Latest posts