• Are you a Tarantula hobbyist? If so, we invite you to join our community! Once you join you'll be able to post messages, upload pictures of your pets and enclosures and chat with other Tarantula enthusiasts. Sign up today!

Bought another G rosea (nope, was corrected G porteri)

MassExodus

1,000+ Post Club
3 Year Member
Personally, I think they're just color forms. Not different species. If you really look into obts and a few others you'll find the same discrepancies in appearance. Just my own two cents. Plus I had a guy that's been breeding them for years tell me he had found some rcf slings in a normal sac. I don't know him that well but he seemed sincere. 2nd gen from a crossbreed or just a fluke, who knows..

Kymura

1,000+ Post Club
3 Year Member
Personally, I think they're just color forms. Not different species. If you really look into obts and a few others you'll find the same discrepancies in appearance. Just my own two cents. Plus I had a guy that's been breeding them for years tell me he had found some rcf slings in a normal sac. I don't know him that well but he seemed sincere. 2nd gen from a crossbreed or just a fluke, who knows..
She/he is great regardless, (other then immediately stepping up on you when you open the enclosure, I know the silly thing is just lulling me into a false sense of security so it can tag me later). I don't see the need to handle them, they don't enjoy it and I don't have to prove anything so, took the pictures then gently herded her back into the enclosure, good thing I got the soft brush.
I love the size it is right now, and I honestly think its very attractive. But then again I seriously want a
Aphonopelma anax because I love how they look as well ^.^ first things first however, have a couple others higher on my list.

MassExodus

1,000+ Post Club
3 Year Member
She/he is great regardless, (other then immediately stepping up on you when you open the enclosure, I know the silly thing is just lulling me into a false sense of security so it can tag me later). I don't see the need to handle them, they don't enjoy it and I don't have to prove anything so, took the pictures then gently herded her back into the enclosure, good thing I got the soft brush.
I love the size it is right now, and I honestly think its very attractive. But then again I seriously want a
Aphonopelma anax because I love how they look as well ^.^ first things first however, have a couple others higher on my list.
Strange that you mention the anax, that and the hentzi are natives here. I can't find a female to save my life..found a few males now but without the girl its just mean to catch one. If I ever breed them I'll send you a few though :) The albiceps has the same colors but pulls it off better, somehow.. And doesn't burrow much:)

N8tive556

3 Year Member
Stopped for crickets...little juvie all alone in a HUGE display case. Idiot told me it's 'proper name' was a chilian rose haired tarantula. Extremely dry, no water dish, no hide, no real substrate. Made me quite upset. Thin, extremely gentile, grabbed a kritter keeper and taking it home.
Yeti pictures to follow.
View attachment 11773 View attachment 11774 View attachment 11775
No matter how finicky they can be, I'm just glad you recognized the issue and took him home without question! I'm always on the lookout for shops that have T's and other inverts I know would do better I'm my care lol

MassExodus

1,000+ Post Club
3 Year Member
No matter how finicky they can be, I'm just glad you recognized the issue and took him home without question! I'm always on the lookout for shops that have T's and other inverts I know would do better I'm my care lol
Yeah, despite all the responses you would get...on other forums..about buying from pet stores, in the end, they'll still sell them, and the T is still better off in the care of one of us. People jump on the soapbox too quickly in this hobby. I'm going to find a mature male "porteri" monday when I go buy some new shelves...ahhh, new shelves..more space...more spiders.

N8tive556

3 Year Member
Yeah, despite all the responses you would get...on other forums..about buying from pet stores, in the end, they'll still sell them, and the T is still better off in the care of one of us. People jump on the soapbox too quickly in this hobby. I'm going to find a mature male "porteri" monday when I go buy some new shelves...ahhh, new shelves..more space...more spiders.

Like those Hapalopus? Lol

MassExodus

1,000+ Post Club
3 Year Member
Btw, they sold them to me for ten dollars apiece. 50 dollars for 5 pumpkin slings. That's what one costs on many sites. Very good deal. And they have a P platyomma eggsac and they're working on a P mascara project..I'll definitely be buying from them again.:D

Entity

1,000+ Post Club
3 Year Member
Btw, they sold them to me for ten dollars apiece. 50 dollars for 5 pumpkin slings. That's what one costs on many sites. Very good deal. And they have a P platyomma eggsac and they're working on a P mascara project..I'll definitely be buying from them again.:D
Where is that from Mass?

Payden King

3 Year Member
Awe! Congrats on the new gal/guy. I have a bad habit of rescuing the T's from my local pet stores too! I can't even go in them anymore, I have to send someone else in because I seriously can not leave without buying them. It's so sad to see them in there with improper care. :(
Although I have a soft spot for the "less fortunate" T's. Even when I go to expos, I always pick the one with a gimp leg or that looks dehydrated.
Love my little group of misfits. <3