• Are you a Tarantula hobbyist? If so, we invite you to join our community! Once you join you'll be able to post messages, upload pictures of your pets and enclosures and chat with other Tarantula enthusiasts. Sign up today!

Borneo Black Question

#Angela#

3 Year Member
Hi Guys,

I have a Borneo Black. Just completed a molt and looks to be a mature male. I am surprised because the exuvium measured only 3.5 inches. Current size is likely around 4.5 to 5 inches. I have had the specimen for about a year. My question is... Approximately how old/ large is a Borneo Black when they molt into a mature male? I wonder if he isn't really a Borneo Black!

Thank you for your help!
Angela

FaaFaa

3 Year Member
Do you have a few pictures that you could post? If you think you may have a mis-identified T pics could be helpful.

Don't forget males are usually smaller than females. :)

Poec54

3 Year Member
Hi Guys,

I have a Borneo Black. Just completed a molt and looks to be a mature male. I am surprised because the exuvium measured only 3.5 inches. Current size is likely around 4.5 to 5 inches. I have had the specimen for about a year. My question is... Approximately how old/ large is a Borneo Black when they molt into a mature male? I wonder if he isn't really a Borneo Black!

That's the norm for all the Lampropelma and Cyriopagopus males I've had. All have matured a light brownish color, and put on around 2" in their final molt. They're small and wiry; a fraction of the weight of the females.

#Angela#

3 Year Member
That's the norm for all the Lampropelma and Cyriopagopus males I've had. All have matured a light brownish color, and put on around 2" in their final molt. They're small and wiry; a fraction of the weight of the females.
Thank you, this is exactly what I have seen! In your experience, will the mature males of this species continue to eat? I rehoused him last night and he has made himself a den. He is acting pretty subdued compared to before the last molt. I will try and feed him tomorrow night. I really like this guy!

Poec54

3 Year Member
Thank you, this is exactly what I have seen! In your experience, will the mature males of this species continue to eat?

Yes, but not nearly as much as an adult female. Males are built for traveling and lovemaking, not hanging around the dinner table.

Last edited:

#Angela#

3 Year Member
OK, good. Any thoughts about approximate life expectancy after the terminal molt? I really appreciate your help!

Poec54

3 Year Member
OK, good. Any thoughts about approximate life expectancy after the terminal molt? I really appreciate your help!

Maybe a year, of which he should still be a viable breeder for at least 6 months. Gives you time to work out a breeding loan. Some MM Poecs & T stirmi can live 2+ years.