• Are you a Tarantula hobbyist? If so, we invite you to join our community! Once you join you'll be able to post messages, upload pictures of your pets and enclosures and chat with other Tarantula enthusiasts. Sign up today!

Bone decor

Talmon Glidden

3 Year Member
Hey guys, I just have a question about using bones as a decor for tarantulas. I have a bone (I made sure it is totally clean and sanitary, so don't worry about that) that I used in an A. diversipes enclosure. The humidity seems to be causing the bone to have a yellowish coloration and have a funny smell. (Not the smell of rotting but more like a wet smell.) Is this a problem? Do most people put a coating of like some kind of seal on before putting it into an enclosure? I don't mind the coloration or smell I am just worried it might have an effect on my T. Thank you!

Chubbs

1,000+ Post Club
3 Year Member
I just personally prefer to keep things simple and use cork bark or some type of mold resistant wood. The yellow color could have something to do with not enough ventilation and/or too much moisture.

Talmon Glidden

3 Year Member
Well she's an avic, so I don't think the moisture could hurt her much. Plus I have more than enough ventilation so that shouldn't be a problem for her, but can the bone like mold because of to much moisture?

Entity

1,000+ Post Club
3 Year Member
yes the bone will start rotting and molding from too much moisture. just better off keeping it out of a tarantula enclosure. IMO.

Latest posts