• Are you a Tarantula hobbyist? If so, we invite you to join our community! Once you join you'll be able to post messages, upload pictures of your pets and enclosures and chat with other Tarantula enthusiasts. Sign up today!

Boehmei doesn't eat

Arachne

3 Year Member
Hey everyone

This is my first time caring for a tarantula and I have a brachypelma boehmei L4 sling. I had her/him about a month ago but she/he has been refusing to eat. I have searched about the reason a lot but I really do not know why. It is impossible he/she is in pre-molt. I saw a black spot on its abdomen and now it is disappearing gradually. The abdomen started to get smaller as well. I gave mealworms but it got scared or just did nothing. I cant leave them in the tank because they hide under the peat. It's been a month and I'm getting really worried and frustrated. I thought maybe the mealworm was too big for it to eat and cut the worm with a knife but it didn't work either. Here, in Turkey, it is hard to find live bait other than mealworms. I think I need some guidance from experienced tarantula keepers. I can take a photo of my T and post here if it is needed.

Martin Oosthuysen

1,000+ Post Club
3 Year Member
Hey everyone

This is my first time caring for a tarantula and I have a brachypelma boehmei L4 sling. I had her/him about a month ago but she/he has been refusing to eat. I have searched about the reason a lot but I really do not know why. It is impossible he/she is in pre-molt. I saw a black spot on its abdomen and now it is disappearing gradually. The abdomen started to get smaller as well. I gave mealworms but it got scared or just did nothing. I cant leave them in the tank because they hide under the peat. It's been a month and I'm getting really worried and frustrated. I thought maybe the mealworm was too big for it to eat and cut the worm with a knife but it didn't work either. Here, in Turkey, it is hard to find live bait other than mealworms. I think I need some guidance from experienced tarantula keepers. I can take a photo of my T and post here if it is needed.
Hello
I would say post a photo, someone will reply when they see a photo to make a possible judgment.

Arachne

3 Year Member
Well, the first photo was taken a month ago. It had a big abdomen with a black spot. I took the second photo one hour ago.

Attachments

• 2015-01-12 22.30.26.png
    2015-01-12 22.30.26.png
    1.6 MB · Views: 106
  • 2015-01-12 09.14.39 2.jpg
    2015-01-12 09.14.39 2.jpg
    3.6 MB · Views: 99

Arachne

3 Year Member
It is always dry actually but but this time I keep the heat pad a bit warmer as the weather is so cold then the water in the dish evaporated so much but no worries the environment is pretty good. I don't know, Tyronne I thought it was going to molt, too but nothing happened. Thanks for the answers, I will redecorate the encloser.

Martin Oosthuysen

1,000+ Post Club
3 Year Member
It is always dry actually but but this time I keep the heat pad a bit warmer as the weather is so cold then the water in the dish evaporated so much but no worries the environment is pretty good. I don't know, Tyronne I thought it was going to molt, too but nothing happened. Thanks for the answers, I will redecorate the encloser.
Something I have to ask,what are your local temperatures at the moment ? I don't use any heat pads in the winter,I just use a fan heater to bring up the ambient temperature. Would like to hear views on that as well,since I can push up the heat throughout my Tarantula area.

Arachne

3 Year Member
It is between -2 - 4 celsius outside. I will have to travel in 10 days and have to take my tarantula with me and the place I will go will be -20 - 1. Really, could you please tell me the heat push-ups, as my heat pad (actually much more like heat lamp but sold as heat pad lol) doesnt indicate the degree so it might get too hot to evaporate the water in the dish but fortunately I always check the conditions.

Martin Oosthuysen

1,000+ Post Club
3 Year Member
It is between -2 - 4 celsius outside. I will have to travel in 10 days and have to take my tarantula with me and the place I will go will be -20 - 1. Really, could you please tell me the heat push-ups, as my heat pad (actually much more like heat lamp but sold as heat pad lol) doesnt indicate the degree so it might get too hot to evaporate the water in the dish but fortunately I always check the conditions.
Hello again
I work on general temps,day time 26-28 Celsius and night time 20-22 Celsius. I have been testing different ones.

Arachne

3 Year Member
What do you think about the size of the prey. I think the problem may be the size of the worms. I am really worried about my T :(

privatetillery

3 Year Member
You can try to cut up the mealworm in to small pieces to see if it will scavenge feed. Also he could be a sluggish eater if its too hot. Some people use a main critter keeper with their spiderlings in vials/deli cups on the inside if needed. Then, they put a heating pad on the back side of the main critter keeper. I had to do it a couple times during florida's sporadic temp drops. but, still a good fan heater in a smaller room would be better and safer if possible.

Arachne

3 Year Member
I cut up the mealworm but my T wasnt still interested and I'm going to try the critter keeper, thank you. Martin, taking abdomen as a measurement sounds good, thank you. Thank you so much for your answers, guys.

Tomoran

3 Year Member
Tarantula Club Member
It does look fairly plump in the abdomen, so I wouldn't worry too much about it refusing food at the moment. It very well could be in premolt.

I would worry about all of the moisture in that enclosure, though. A water dish should be sufficient. What are the temps inside your home...highs and lows? I would definitely get rid of that heat lamp/pad, as you are likely to dehydrate the spider, especially a sling of that size and in an enclosure that small. The water dish evaporating quickly is a sign of a problem, as the spider could be losing vital moisture as well. If the abdomen has really shrunk in such a short period of time, that could be an indication of dehydration.Get it on some drier substrate with a enough depth to allow for some digging and keep the water dish, and put it in a warmer corner of your home if you're worried about the heat.

If it's still not eating, you can try food once a week. If the spider doesn't show interest, take it out and try again in another week. Sometimes constantly offering prey items can become disruptive and stressful for the animal (as the enclosure is constantly getting fiddled with) especially if the little guy is in premolt and just wants to be left alone. Hope that helps!

Last edited:

Arachne

3 Year Member
I think so but using nothing that warms up the encloser is impossible. At least for now. This winter is really harsh. Next week, heat problem will be solved as I will go to a place with much colder whether but much warmer house. When I return, winter will be over so just 7 days with the heat pad. Thank you so much. Today I cut up another mealworm. T attacked but then ran away again. I don't understand. I will buy little worms today. I hope it works.

Tomoran

3 Year Member
Tarantula Club Member
I think so but using nothing that warms up the encloser is impossible. At least for now. This winter is really harsh. Next week, heat problem will be solved as I will go to a place with much colder whether but much warmer house. When I return, winter will be over so just 7 days with the heat pad. Thank you so much. Today I cut up another mealworm. T attacked but then ran away again. I don't understand. I will buy little worms today. I hope it works.

What are the temps inside your home? If you must use the heat lamp, try to position it so that the sling enclosure only catches a bit of residual heat (in other words, don't put the heating element right on it).

If it refused food again, give it a few days off before you try again. I know you're worried that it might starve, but it will eat when it is hungry. :)

Latest posts