• Are you a Tarantula hobbyist? If so, we invite you to join our community! Once you join you'll be able to post messages, upload pictures of your pets and enclosures and chat with other Tarantula enthusiasts. Sign up today!

Bio enclosure

Stat

3 Year Member
Would just like some advice on what plants I should use for this and also the type of substrate. I am relatively new to spiders but have a ball python who is in a similar setup but his has 40% bark to the 60% mix of peat coco fibre and a small amount of sand. The overall idea would be for this to sit centre stage in a wall setup of my spiders so would be looking at types of T's that thrive in these setups. Cheers for any advice given.

Jess S

1,000+ Post Club
I personally feel that the best t for a bioactive is a T. stirmi or any of the Theraposa's actually. Won't burrow through the roots damaging them, nor will they web the plants up. Plus they need to be kept moist so can handle living with plants that need watering.

However, I don't think you'd be able to get a large stirmi enclosure on a wall.....

Timmy T

Would just like some advice on what plants I should use for this and also the type of substrate. I am relatively new to spiders but have a ball python who is in a similar setup but his has 40% bark to the 60% mix of peat coco fibre and a small amount of sand. The overall idea would be for this to sit centre stage in a wall setup of my spiders so would be looking at types of T's that thrive in these setups. Cheers for any advice given.
I have my psalmopoeus pulcher af in a bioactive

Attachments

• IMG_20200305_101700_287.jpg
    IMG_20200305_101700_287.jpg
    1.2 MB · Views: 18

m0lsx

Staff member
1,000+ Post Club
3 Year Member
Tarantula Club Member
I have been thinking about a bio set up with a water feature for a Hysterocrates gigas. Which will take small fish & spend time within the water.

But I love the idea for using a Theraposa, as like Jess S say's they need more humidity & are not webbers or diggers.

menavodi

1,000+ Post Club
3 Year Member
Tarantula Club Member
Here is another picture of an adult Chilobrachys. She is digging, but the plant is going great! I have this setup since many years for her...
1583680418446.jpeg

menavodi

1,000+ Post Club
3 Year Member
Tarantula Club Member
What plants & substrate do you use?
I use organic soil with no fertilizer. I do sometimes use potting soil with those little fertilizer pearls in it. Did not hurt the spiders or the crickets. Plants that I use are: Epipremnum pinnatum which grows for years, you have to cut it back ever so often. And small ferns like Nephrolepis exaltata. Those are the plants you see in my pictures.
Also Ficus primula and Peperomia caperata are great plants to use...

m0lsx

Staff member
1,000+ Post Club
3 Year Member
Tarantula Club Member
I use organic soil with no fertilizer. I do sometimes use potting soil with those little fertilizer pearls in it. Did not hurt the spiders or the crickets. Plants that I use are: Epipremnum pinnatum which grows for years, you have to cut it back ever so often. And small ferns like Nephrolepis exaltata. Those are the plants you see in my pictures.
Also Ficus primula and Peperomia caperata are great plants to use...

What about sunlight? I keep my T's at the back of the room, in the warmest area. And plants in general need sunlight.

menavodi

1,000+ Post Club
3 Year Member
Tarantula Club Member
What about sunlight? I keep my T's at the back of the room, in the warmest area. And plants in general need sunlight.
My terrariums get daylight. But by far not enough and no direct sunlight. I have an energy saver bulb on each tank. They do not produce a lot of heat. My plants all thrive.

m0lsx

Staff member
1,000+ Post Club
3 Year Member
Tarantula Club Member
I went & had a look on Swells site & a light to provide the correct kind of light for plants are easy & not too expensive to buy & I am now wondering if a light in front of the shelves would provide light for more than one enclosure.

Konstantin

3 Year Member
I went & had a look on Swells site & a light to provide the correct kind of light for plants are easy & not too expensive to buy & I am now wondering if a light in front of the shelves would provide light for more than one enclosure.
Hi I have been keeping planted fish tanks for over 20 years now and I can tell you for a fact that there is nothing like the right kind of lights for growing plants of any kind.As long as is white light plants dont care.They grow as well under a cheap flood light for a £5 as under a fancy programable led for £600 regardless of spectrum or temperature colour (Kelvin).They will utilise whatever white light they have.There is on the other side a thing called LCP.Every plant will have a (LCP)light compensation point, where photosynthesis and respiration are balanced, if the light level(intensity) doesn't reach the LCP in a leaf, then that leaf will shed.Different plants have different LCP.
Regards Konstantin

Last edited:

menavodi

1,000+ Post Club
3 Year Member
Tarantula Club Member
I often have one light for 2 enclosures. Sometimes it works and sometimes it is not ideal since you have a light right in front of one or two terrariums. Or you might see that a plant is not doing as good as others and you might need one light for one terrarium. I like to have my lights on top of the tanks....