• Are you a Tarantula hobbyist? If so, we invite you to join our community! Once you join you'll be able to post messages, upload pictures of your pets and enclosures and chat with other Tarantula enthusiasts. Sign up today!

Behaviour change ?

Sophie B

3 Year Member
Hi, my Mexican fire leg, Axel, is 3 years old and as I've recently discovered, a girl. She's usually very laid back and doesn't freak out or act aggressive but suddenly she's started acting crazy like the second I touch her viv lid to feed her or change her water she starts darting around the viv and flicking a lot of hairs. Compared to how chilled out she used to be its a big change in behaviour. Any idea what might be causing her behaviour change ?

MassExodus

1,000+ Post Club
3 Year Member
I've noticed a few of my spiders temperaments changing as they grow. I think it's probably normal. Maybe some kind of hormonal teenager thing? :) I have a Lasiodora difficillis that went from shy to striking at the ground, threat posing and literally drooling venom when I open her enclosure. They're weirdos like that sometimes..

Fuzzball79

1,000+ Post Club
3 Year Member
My B. Boehmei juvenile went from scaredy-cat sling, who would spent months hiding away to "Hey, look at me!" and "I ain't moving for nothing!".
My T. Gigas went the opposite. Always out and about as a sling and now it's like "Don't look at me, baah!" and runs away at the slightest disturbance and spends most of its time behind it's tree log. It does give great threat displays from inside its web though, lol.
It's what they're like :).

kormath

1,000+ Post Club
3 Year Member
My genic is starting to do that now. Used to spend most of the time in it's hide. In the last week or so it's dug out half the enclosure, made a tunnel under the cork bark coming up into the fake vine (the roaches always run straight for the vine, now they run to the vine and down the tunnel to become dinner). And just yesterday when I was watering them he came out of the hide and spent the rest of the evening standing beside the water dish. This morning he's in between the dish and the hide. I'm hoping his hiding days are over :)

kormath

1,000+ Post Club
3 Year Member
mine just molted a few weeks ago :) and i'd guess is about 3 inches now but i have to go buy some graph paper to verify and i keep forgetting.

Tonight is feeding night so hopefully he's still out so we can watch him eat. All i've seen so far is the scrambling legs in the opening of his hide and then everything goes quiet lol.

Latest posts