• Are you a Tarantula hobbyist? If so, we invite you to join our community! Once you join you'll be able to post messages, upload pictures of your pets and enclosures and chat with other Tarantula enthusiasts. Sign up today!

Behavior question.

MrKrowe

Is it normal for the T to wander the edges of the enclosure trying to push up the lid? Or am I doing something wrong with the enclosure?

If you can tell us a little about you spider and the setup it will be easier to answer. What species is the spider? What age? What gender? What setup is it in? How long has it been in there? What is the substrate? Does it have a hide/cork bark? Does it have access to water? Are there any live, uneaten prey living in the tank?

So many factors can affect your spider's behaviour.

Rs50matt

1,000+ Post Club
3 Year Member
Normally if the substrate is loose or too damp a T would do what it can to avoid it. If it's recently housed it might not feel settled. If there is a hide in the enclosure it'll eventually find it and make its enclosure home. If there isn't a hide I'd recommend providing something it can hide in/under/behind where it'll be darker and safer.

But like others have said. MMs would wander round more looking for a mate or could be trying to avoid something else in the enclosure (live prey items).

Or like one of my G pulchripes used to be ,it could be a straight up arsehole and there's nothing wrong

Isaac.Loure

If you can tell us a little about you spider and the setup it will be easier to answer. What species is the spider? What age? What gender? What setup is it in? How long has it been in there? What is the substrate? Does it have a hide/cork bark? Does it have access to water? Are there any live, uneaten prey living in the tank?

So many factors can affect your spider's behaviour.
I uploaded some photos to help. She does have a hide, it's a bioactive substrate I got from a local vendor cut with organic potting soil. 78 °, tropical humidity, shes a t blondi, age unknown, and shes presumably a female as per the seller. Quick edit, I just pulled crickets from the enclosure. She was rehoused yesterday, and yes theres a water dish.

Attachments

• 20190612_120308.jpg
    20190612_120308.jpg
    3.7 MB · Views: 34
  • 20190612_115053.jpg
    20190612_115053.jpg
    5 MB · Views: 33
Last edited:

MrKrowe

Then she's just settling in. As @Rs50matt said make sure the substrate is compact. It looks pretty wet, allow it to dry out a little. It should be damp but not soaked, and allow an area of it to dry out completely to provide a gradient so the spider can chose what's comfortable. Don't feed her for a while, I would leave it a week or so, maybe even more so she can settle in. A wider water dish wouldn't go amiss.

While the environment feels off the spider will try to move on. For future fererence it's usually better to set a tank up like this a few weeks before introducing the spider.

Beautiful spider, and eventually that will be an awesome setup.

Isaac.Loure

Then she's just settling in. As @Rs50matt said make sure the substrate is compact. It looks pretty wet, allow it to dry out a little. It should be damp but not soaked, and allow an area of it to dry out completely to provide a gradient so the spider can chose what's comfortable. Don't feed her for a while, I would leave it a week or so, maybe even more so she can settle in. A wider water dish wouldn't go amiss.

While the environment feels off the spider will try to move on. For future fererence it's usually better to set a tank up like this a few weeks before introducing the spider.

Beautiful spider, and eventually that will be an awesome setup.
Thanks. I try. New to this and her behaviour baffles me sometimes. Thanks for the info, this forum is so helpful.

Rs50matt

1,000+ Post Club
3 Year Member
Also can a water dish be to big? Like will they drown in a small pool or something if I put in a more natural looking thing?

I’ll reply a bit more bluntly before arachnoclown comes on and gives the bluntest answer you could think of ;)
In the wild Ts don’t have a choice with water dish depth. They make due with what they can find. They won’t drown but a majority of species are very good swimmers. Avicularia in the wild have been witnessed to voluntarily enter the water to swim to another tree.
You might hear in some places that a T can drown because the book lungs are on the bottom of the abdomen but the hairs of the spider create an air pocket which is what also helps them float. I’d imagine this is just an additional benefit to the hairs rather than a purposeful evolution.
When you get your first molt you can see it for yourself if you try submerge it in a bowl of water. It’s surprising how buoyant they are

Isaac.Loure

I’ll reply a bit more bluntly before arachnoclown comes on and gives the bluntest answer you could think of ;)
In the wild Ts don’t have a choice with water dish depth. They make due with what they can find. They won’t drown but a majority of species are very good swimmers. Avicularia in the wild have been witnessed to voluntarily enter the water to swim to another tree.
You might hear in some places that a T can drown because the book lungs are on the bottom of the abdomen but the hairs of the spider create an air pocket which is what also helps them float. I’d imagine this is just an additional benefit to the hairs rather than a purposeful evolution.
When you get your first molt you can see it for yourself if you try submerge it in a bowl of water. It’s surprising how buoyant they are
That's supremely interesting. Learning so much

Latest posts