• Are you a Tarantula hobbyist? If so, we invite you to join our community! Once you join you'll be able to post messages, upload pictures of your pets and enclosures and chat with other Tarantula enthusiasts. Sign up today!

Barricaded T

TarantulaMoM05

Sorry if this has been answered a million times but I’m very new (Brachypelma Smithi) owner and the tarantula world altogether. We have had it since December 22, and looked to have molted in transit, learned we had the wrong substrate and changed it to eco earth. I think it it’s a sling. (Not sure) its about the size of a dollar piece give or take. We saw it eat for the first time since we have had it on Thursday. It’s abdomen was huge after and white looking. Next morning we found it’s coconut house had the substrate blocking the entrance. So question is could it be molting? Do we need to check to see if it’s ok?

Arachnoclown

1,000+ Post Club
3 Year Member
Tarantula Club Member
door-closing.gif

Dave Jay

1,000+ Post Club
3 Year Member
It may not be ready to moult immediately, it simply doesn't need food right now so it's safer to close the door. You may it sitting in the entrance in a week or so ready for more food, or it may stay in there for months but you never disturb a tarantula that has locked itself away, you just have to wait (and buy more tarantulas :) )

TarantulaMoM05

I think the only time a Brachy sling isn't in pre-molt and burrowed is the day it opens it's hide and you feed it. :T:
She peeked out this evening and looks to be keeping herself busy burrowing. It had been about three days since we seen her. We dropped a wax worm in close to her burrow and she immediately grabbed it. Doesn’t look like she has molted.

Stan Schultz

3 Year Member
Sorry if this has been answered a million times...

No problem. The only stupid questions are the ones you don't ask. And stupid questions are always easier to deal with than stupid mistakes.

... but I’m very new (Brachypelma Smithi) owner and the tarantula world altogether. We have had it since December 22, and looked to have molted in transit, ...

If it molted in transit the shed skin is likely (but not guaranteed) to still be somewhat damp and still in pretty good condition. However, if it had molted before shipping and the shipper hadn't bothered to clean the container, the shed skin will be very crisp, probably in tatters.

... learned we had the wrong substrate and changed it to eco earth. ...

We need clarification here. What kind of substrate had been used and why do you think it was the wrong stuff?

... I think it it’s a sling. (Not sure) its about the size of a dollar piece give or take. ...

Visit Growing Your Own for reasonable definitions of the various life stages of tarantulas. Note that newbies and a few old curmudgeons don't agree with me on these definitions. But my definitions are based on discernible characteristics and have meanings that should help you care for your tarantula properly, not willy-nilly guesswork.

... We saw it eat for the first time since we have had it on Thursday. It’s abdomen was huge after and white looking. Next morning we found it’s coconut house had the substrate blocking the entrance. So question is could it be molting? ...

No. It's too soon even for a spiderling to molt again. Besides, if it were that close to molting it wouldn't have eaten for you. You gave it a full meal. Now it wants to hunker down in private and digest it. It's like you after a huge Thanksgiving dinner. You should get used to this behavior. It's gonna happen a lot.

Do we need to check to see if it’s ok?

Definitely not! Leave it alone. You need to get used to the concept that these creatures (i.e., arachnids in general) have been developing their anatomy. physiology, and behavioral patterns for a third to a half BILLION years. Nearly everything they do had been fine-tuned to as close to perfection as it can get way, way before humans ever existed. Yes, from time to time things go wrong. But that 's usually a very rare occasion. Rare indeed!

Besides, what's the plan once you see if it's okay? How would you tell in the first place? And realistically, what could you do about it?

Do not fuss with your tarantula. Sit back with your favorite drink and watch. Your tarantula is trying to teach you something. LEARN from it!

"You have a strong heart, no fear. But stupid! Like baby, don't know what to do."
- - Zoe Saldana as Neytiri in James Cameron's movie, AVATAR. (No offense meant here. Just illustrating that the point isn't new with me. Not by a long shot.)

I realize I'm beating my own drum here, but I would suggest that you go to Spiders, Calgary and start reading the whole website. But a word of warning! Read only two or three webpages at a sitting. Trying to absorb the whole website at once has been known to cause emotional disturbances and mental dysfunctions in humans. (So does writing them! :confused: ) It's difficult to process so much radical stuff all at once. :D

Last edited:

TarantulaMoM05

No problem. The only stupid questions are the ones you don't ask. And stupid questions are always easier to deal with than stupid mistakes.

If it molted in transit the shed skin is likely (but not guaranteed) to still be somewhat damp and still in pretty good condition. However, if it had molted before shipping and the shipper hadn't bothered to clean the container, the shed skin will be very crisp, probably in tatters.

We need clarification here. What kind of substrate had been used and why do you think it was the wrong stuff?

Visit Growing Your Own for reasonable definitions of the various life stages of tarantulas. Note that newbies and a few old curmudgeons don't agree with me on these definitions. But my definitions are based on discernible characteristics and have meanings that should help you care for your tarantula properly, not willy-nilly guesswork.

No. It's too soon even for a spiderling to molt again. Besides, if it were that close to molting it wouldn't have eaten for you. You gave it a full meal. Now it wants to hunker down in private and digest it. It's like you after a huge Thanksgiving dinner. You should get used to this behavior. It's gonna happen a lot.

Definitely not! Leave it alone. You need to get used to the concept that these creatures (i.e., arachnids in general) have been developing their anatomy. physiology, and behavioral patterns for a third to a half BILLION years. Nearly everything they do had been fine-tuned to as close to perfection as it can get way, way before humans ever existed. Yes, from time to time things go wrong. But that 's usually a very rare occasion. Rare indeed!

Besides, what's the plan once you see if it's okay? How would you tell in the first place? And realistically, what could you do about it?

Do not fuss with your tarantula. Sit back with your favorite drink and watch. Your tarantula is trying to teach you something. LEARN from it!

"You have a strong heart, no fear. But stupid! Like baby, don't know what to do."
- - Zoe Saldana as Neytiri in James Cameron's movie, AVATAR. (No offense meant here. Just illustrating that the point isn't new with me. Not by a long shot.)

I realize I'm beating my own drum here, but I would suggest that you go to Spiders, Calgary and start reading the whole webpage. But a word of warning! Read only two or three webpages at a sitting. Trying to absorb the whole website at once has been known to cause emotional disturbances and mental dysfunctions in humans. (So does writing them! :confused: ) It's difficult to process so much radical stuff all at once. :D
Thank you SO much lots of great information and advice!! We did not bother it and it came out on it’s own. Looks like it was just busy making its own home/hide. We are definitely having fun learning so much about them. We will check out the sites you mentioned.

Ole8eye

I had a A.chalcodes that closed herself off for 7 or 8 months! She came out for water and she's been back in there for around 4 months. She is doing ok because there's a window that I can check in through. T's can throw us for loops that's forsure.