• Are you a Tarantula hobbyist? If so, we invite you to join our community! Once you join you'll be able to post messages, upload pictures of your pets and enclosures and chat with other Tarantula enthusiasts. Sign up today!

Bald spot cause?

Ms.HQuinn

3 Year Member
Hi guys,
I'm a relatively new T owner. I did do my homework on enclosures and species ect. Before I purchased one tho. I opted for a male mexican red knee t. I bought him onine where I buy my reptiles and have always been pleased with them. I bought Archie with a 3 inch leg span. That was how they labeled him I don't know how old he is. Had him about 2 months or so. Love him. Super cool. I handle him a little bit. Like...maybe 5 times since I've had him for less than 5 minutes each time. He has a water bowl a hide and I have eco earth about 4 inches thick. Had a small heat pad at one corner but he didn't seem to care for it so I un plugged it. I feed him a large cricket once every few days and I normally grab it with insect tongs and kinda immobilize it before I place it in there. I always make sure he has fresh water.
About a 2 weeks ago I noticed the top of the eco earth had...like idk it was stringy and almost like a blanket. And I picked it up messing with it but placed it back kinda in a clump. Knowing he'd likely done it for a reason. The past week I've noticed he's taken an odd liking to hanging upside down on the mesh lid he no longer wants to sit on the eco eart or any of his noral spots. I noticed the other day he had a bald spot and it seems to get alittle bigger everyday but this could be me over analyzing.
I read up on bald spots and causes...but I don't over feed him, he isn't threatened by anything. Heck i havent handled him since he started acting funny. Unless he's going through a mid life crisis or something I really can't figure out why he'd have a bald spot?
Please help the overly concered noobie.

Chubbs

1,000+ Post Club
3 Year Member
Bald spot is from kicking urticating hairs. You're tarantula obviously doesn't want to be handled. These aren't animals for handling anyway.

Ms.HQuinn

3 Year Member
I haven't handled him in several weeks. The bald spot didn't appear until about a week ago. And was not a small spot by any means.
I also was not aware they didn't like being handled. Was kinda under the impression they were similiar to snakes.

Chubbs

1,000+ Post Club
3 Year Member
No not at all. Handling can really stress them out. Tarantulas are best used as display animals like fish. Some species are extremely defensive and fast-moving and will bite the crap out of you if you even put your hand anywhere near them. Plus some species have pretty potent venom. Do a bite report search on Poecilotheria venom. I hate to seem rude in any way, but if you want an animal you can handle, a tarantula is not the pet for you.

Ms.HQuinn

3 Year Member
No no be rude. I'd rather someone be honest than nice. I never anticipated handling him like I do my other reptiles. But I assumed you had to atleast a little bit to get them used to it. Ha much relief knowing I'm not supposed to lol.

Entity

1,000+ Post Club
3 Year Member
@Ms.HQuinn ,
Ur smithi might be hanging from the roof instead of being on the substrate cause it doesnt like it. if it is damp they will stay off of it. WHat do u use for substrate?

Ms.HQuinn

3 Year Member
@Entity
I use eco earth... I believe its a coconut husk substrate...but off the top of my head could be wrong. To keep my snakes humidity correct I mist their tanks every so often and did so with Archies as well. Just litreally a light mist. I have since I've had him and he's never acted differently till recently. The first few weeks I had him I noticed I had to fill his water bowl everyday tho. He seemed to almost be playing in it and splashing it oUT till it was empty. Hasnt since then. And the substrate is damp below the first 3 inches .
I knew that they did not need a water bowl but it was recommended to keep their humidity correct on a few of the sites I read. Maybe that's why he was splashing it out? He doesn't like it? I suppose if they don't like overly damp substrate it could be more than he prefers due to the water sitting on the bottom from the first few bowls. That would also explain the stringy carpet like thing he'd created all over the tank. On a very random note...do they like fake plants in their enclosure?

Entity

1,000+ Post Club
3 Year Member
Red knees dont care about plants either way. but they also dont like damp substrate. a water bowl alone is all u need.