1. Are you a Tarantula hobbyist? If so, we invite you to join our community! Once you join you'll be able to post messages, upload pictures of your pets and enclosures and chat with other Tarantula enthusiasts. Sign up today!

Bad substrate?

Discussion in 'General Tarantula Discussion' started by Rs50matt, Aug 11, 2018.

1. Rs50matt

Rs50matt Active Member

I've moved both my g pulchripes into new enclosures and started using a mix of top soil and coco fibre (50/50) with a splash of vermiculite and both of them spend their time off the substrate on the side of the enclosure. The sub is dry and I'm lost as to why this is happening. I have one other enclosure with this substrate but It's owner is in transit.

Any help would be appreciated, hopefully find out what's up before my new t turns up
  2. Arachnoclown

Arachnoclown Well-Known Member 1,000+ Post Club

Did you pack it down...they like compacted soil. Also did you soak the vermiculite before using it....if not it will wick the moisture out of everything even the spider.
    Tortoise Tom likes this.
  3. Rs50matt

Rs50matt Active Member

Yea it's packed down and I didn't know you need to soak the vermiculite but it was mixed into damp soil which has since dried out .

One is on the sub atm and was on it earlier but as soon as I turned light on and looked in he crawled up the side
  4. Arachnoclown

They are probably just getting use to their new enclosures...they should be fine.
  5. Rs50matt

Rs50matt Active Member

I've packed the sub down more. I think it was ok but just to make sure. I'll give them enough time to settle. One has eaten. Other hasn't but I'll give it time
    Arachnoclown likes this.
  6. MassExodus

MassExodus Well-Known Member 1,000+ Post Club

Not trying to be an alarmist, but I would remix with washed vermiculite. If the soil is packed and dry, they shouldnt be avoiding it..
  7. Rs50matt

Rs50matt Active Member

I'll be honest. The vermiculite content is minimal. I'll keep an eye on them today but maybe look at removing them and starting from scratch
    MassExodus likes this.
  8. Arachnoclown

You could water the substrate pretty good to get the vermiculite wet then cap the top with dry top soil and coco fiber.
    MassExodus likes this.
Draft saved Draft deleted