• Are you a Tarantula hobbyist? If so, we invite you to join our community! Once you join you'll be able to post messages, upload pictures of your pets and enclosures and chat with other Tarantula enthusiasts. Sign up today!

Bad Molt And Not Sure What To Do

Isilwen

3 Year Member
So I checked on my slings yesterday as well as to feed them and my LP sling was in molt. However, it's having trouble. I went ahead and put some water in the corners to up the humidity to help.

This morning before I left for work, I went and checked on it again. It is still stuck. From what I can tell, it's one pedipalp and both fangs are still in the old exoskeleton.

Is there anything I can do?

I have not touched it and only opened its enclosure to add the water in the corners.

Isilwen

3 Year Member
How did it go?

Not well. I tried the above method and nothing happened. Did it twice today about 6 hours apart.

So rather than let it suffer I put it in the freezer to kill it humanely. My girlfriend agreed that it was the best thing we could do for it.

My first molt that went bad, but also the smallest sling I ever had as well.

I hope that no one gets upset with what I did, but I thought it for the best.

WolfSpider

1,000+ Post Club
3 Year Member
Sorry for your loss. :( Despite what many of hobbyists tell you--slings are fragile. In nature, less than 10% ever make it to adulthood. A spider strategy is to make hundreds of babies so that maybe 3 to 4 will be able to reproduce in the future. Bottom line, its a shame it happened to you. It sounds like you did all that you could. Here's hoping you will try again.

Latest posts