• Are you a Tarantula hobbyist? If so, we invite you to join our community! Once you join you'll be able to post messages, upload pictures of your pets and enclosures and chat with other Tarantula enthusiasts. Sign up today!

B. Smithi molting (I guess?)

Alex Stoica

3 Year Member
Hi guys. I'm pretty new to this forum (just created the account). First of all, hello again guys.
I just got my B. Smithi today. It is 1 cm sized (that's what the shop said) and I tried to feed her/him. S/He's nothing about it. S/He just runs away from the prey. I think s/he's molting. I'll attach two photos here, hope you guys could help me.
13644006_1209753819064191_2105962520_n.jpg 13644078_1209753839064189_1755372678_n.jpg
I also attached a photo with the enclosure. I tapped with water, as long as I haven't found yet some spray thingy that could help me. In the photo is a cut mealworm. S/he hasn't touched it yet. I tried to put an alive one but the result is the same.

PS: I don't know when was the last time s/he was feeded.

Meludox

3 Year Member
Well, it's not molting. Just give it some time to adjust and try feeding again in a couple of days. That enclosure looks like it may be large enough for a water bottle cap for a water dish; you should add one. The sling won't drown.

Alex Stoica

3 Year Member
One more question. Is the enclosure too high that it may drop and die?

ps: saw him/her climbing almost to the top

kormath

1,000+ Post Club
3 Year Member
i'd say it's a little far to drop, more substrate wouldn't hurt. The T is probably setting in still, the prey looks sized right, it's not bigger than the abdomen so it shouldn't be avoiding it because of that. Doesn't look to be in premolt like @Enn49 said, the abdomen at that size will go jet black almost.

Add a bottle cap for water like @Enn49 suggested, put a few pebbles in it to help hold it in place, and for a way to get out of the water if the T decides to drink and give it a few days to settle in, then try feeding it again.

Latest posts