• Are you a Tarantula hobbyist? If so, we invite you to join our community! Once you join you'll be able to post messages, upload pictures of your pets and enclosures and chat with other Tarantula enthusiasts. Sign up today!

B. smithi molt!

DalilahBlue

1,000+ Post Club
3 Year Member
Yay!

I came home to this...

photo(45).JPG

Her abdomen is so tiny! The humidity is fine, but I am leaving tomorrow and will be gone three days. I know she can't eat now, but I am still worried. I have never had one look so pitiful after a molt.

harleyqueen

1,000+ Post Club
3 Year Member
Omg shes a stunner! Dont worry about her abdomen its not bad and she Will soon fatten up. Some of mine look much smaller than that after a moult the avics always look terrible after but soon pick up. Its the only time they use any calories really when they moult lol. Btw how big is she? I see she has got her halo. Hercules has got his but i dont think his sisters have yet. I dont see Saturn or Thunder much.

DalilahBlue

1,000+ Post Club
3 Year Member
She's easily one of my favs! I haven't gotten a good measurement yet since she kicks hairs like mad when I get anywhere near her since the molt, but she's close to 4 inches. She had her halo before but it is SO much more pronounced now.

I am such a worrier. She's acting like a normal post molt Brachypelma but that tiny tummy worries me! I know most captive T's are over fed, but it is such a huge difference! Her tummy is still rounded, not shriveled. I've bumped up her humidity a bit just to be on the safe side though.

harleyqueen

1,000+ Post Club
3 Year Member
Not saying it to make you feel better but honestly she looks fine. I sometimes get a shock when some of mine moult tho. Youre just used to her being bigger. She looks perfectly healthy, beautiful colour. I didnt realise she was that big.
Kenny said ages ago he sometimes power feeds some of his after a moult so ask him what he thinks but i really think shes fine.

DalilahBlue

1,000+ Post Club
3 Year Member
He said she looked fine. I actually got her from him. By the way, though the molt was pretty beat up, I think she is a she for sure. :)

DalilahBlue

1,000+ Post Club
3 Year Member
Ok guys, we may have a problem. She's been out of her hide since yesterday. I noticed today she has a patch of her molt still on her abdomen! It is thing, less than 1/4 her width, but runs the length of the abdomen with a small potion the size of her spinnerets hanging off. It looks like she's been working at it.

I have upped the humidity. I am not putting her in ICU yet as she is being active (maybe more active than normal) and kicking hairs, so i don't think she
is in danger, yet.

Any other ideas or advice?

Bast

1,000+ Post Club
3 Year Member
I think upping the humidity was a good call. Hopefully she'll be able to get it taken care of herself. I'll keep my fingers crossed for you and your lovely girl.

DalilahBlue

1,000+ Post Club
3 Year Member
Kenny to the rescue!

He advised using a wet Q-tip to moisten the area. After about 10 minutes it came right off!

Surprisingly, she held still the entire time. It must have felt good. :)

harleyqueen

1,000+ Post Club
3 Year Member
She is stunning, definately one of the best looking ts Ive ever seen. Why is this girl not in the photo comp?!

DalilahBlue

1,000+ Post Club
3 Year Member
Thanks HQ! She is definitely one of my favs, although since her molt, she's been kicking hairs like mad! I guess it just heightens her diva status. ;)

Since I am the one organizing the photo contest each month I refrain from entering since I don't want anyone to think there might be some underhandedness going on.

harleyqueen

1,000+ Post Club
3 Year Member
Some of mine get flicky after a moult I think they feel a bit vulnerable.
Someone else should organise the comp sometimes so you can have a go.

harleyqueen

1,000+ Post Club
3 Year Member
Im driving my poor animals insane. Keep taking pics and want some t shirts made with pics of them on. Need some really silly saying to go on t shirts. eg " Count Money Spider of Essex" Or " King Hercules The Great."

Latest posts