• Are you a Tarantula hobbyist? If so, we invite you to join our community! Once you join you'll be able to post messages, upload pictures of your pets and enclosures and chat with other Tarantula enthusiasts. Sign up today!

B.smithi enclosure ideas?

CourtneyG

3 Year Member
I have a 10gal that I want to move my B.smithi to and I am a bit short on ideas of how to do the layout. I want to put some plants in there to help make it look natural and I have a half log hide as well, but substrate, plant types, i am drawing a blank. Lighting I am good on, got a 9 Watt LED bulb. Pictures would also help.

Tyronne

3 Year Member
I have a 10gal that I want to move my B.smithi to and I am a bit short on ideas of how to do the layout. I want to put some plants in there to help make it look natural and I have a half log hide as well, but substrate, plant types, i am drawing a blank. Lighting I am good on, got a 9 Watt LED bulb. Pictures would also help.

I personally want to go for something like this when my boehmei gets big. This is basically their natural habitat.
63533d1387177974-updated-naturalistic-sonoran-desert-toad-vivarium-558087_10100376559688299_1584928647_n.jpg

Poec54

3 Year Member
Rocks and spiny plants are serious hazards for tarantulas. In that pic, either the substrate needs to be much deeper, or the rocks & wood moved to the center of the cage. They occasionally slip and fall off the sides and can split their abdomens open. In the wild they're not climbing glass. Keep in mind that terrestrials can easily chew thru screen tops.

DVirginiana

3 Year Member
lol Right now my B smithi sling's enclosure consists of eco earth and small piece of cork bark. When he's older I'll probably upgrade him to an enclosure with more dirt and a larger piece of bark :) As Poec said, avoid anything a freshly molted T could potentially hurt itself on and eliminate fall risks. I only keep terrestrials, but I try to have about 1.5X the height of the T.

Poec54

3 Year Member
lol Right now my B smithi sling's enclosure consists of eco earth and small piece of cork bark. When he's older I'll probably upgrade him to an enclosure with more dirt and a larger piece of bark :) As Poec said, avoid anything a freshly molted T could potentially hurt itself on and eliminate fall risks. I only keep terrestrials, but I try to have about 1.5X the height of the T.

It's not just newly molted spiders. Abdomens have a thin, flexible exoskeleton, and it's easily torn; bleeding may not stop. Arboreals are much more coordinated, but they still fall occasionally, sometimes when leaping on prey.

The cage in that pic is gorgeous, but because of the high glass sides, it's a death trap for a tarantula.

DVirginiana

3 Year Member
Keeping frogs has turned me into a decor minimalist; pretty much any decor has the potential to either cut the frog or be eaten by the frog. Regardless of what species of herp/invert I'm working with I always have to ask myself whether a piece of decor will actually be helpful in some way for the animal or if it's just there for me to look at. If it's the latter it doesn't go in the tank.

Latest posts