• Are you a Tarantula hobbyist? If so, we invite you to join our community! Once you join you'll be able to post messages, upload pictures of your pets and enclosures and chat with other Tarantula enthusiasts. Sign up today!

B. Emilia sling!

Ethel Webster

3 Year Member
20171102_111257.jpg
20171026_123013.jpg
Around 10 days ago I got a B. Emilia sling. Right now it looks more like an 8 legged baked bean! It hasn't eaten since it arrived, it runs away from food and ignored pre killed. I guess it may be in pre moult or just selling in still. It's water bowl is an empty ibuprofen blister!

Whitelightning777

1,000+ Post Club
3 Year Member
It's purely my guess, but that blackness in the abdomen is probably premolt.

I'm about, say, maybe 70% sure that's what it is. The other possibility is simply it's color.

If they burrow as slings but haven't yet done so, that might be an issue. A starter burrow might help.

It's my best guess so get a second opinion.

Dustin Amack

3 Year Member
Interesting... I agree with maybe starting a burrow for it. All of my slings can be stubborn eaters as well. I found that they really have taken well to red runner nymphs. I put one in with them alive and it's always gone a while later. Keep offering it food, make sure it's not too big and you will be fine.

WolfSpider

1,000+ Post Club
3 Year Member
Throw a few flightless fruit flies in there. They can’t hurt the sling (even in pre molt) and they make a great meal. After 2-3 days, the 4-5 you drop in will be gone—they don’t live long.

Ethel Webster

3 Year Member
Well, finally it has eaten this morning! On Sunday I made a tiny hide out of a bottle cap since it hadn't burrowed still. It spent all day yesterday in it and this morning I found it eating a prekilled mealworm that I had put in last night. It's still munching it's way through it! So, it would appear that it needed a hide to feel secure. So glad it's eaten at last as it's been over 3 weeks since it arrived. 20171121_105628.jpg

Latest posts