• Are you a Tarantula hobbyist? If so, we invite you to join our community! Once you join you'll be able to post messages, upload pictures of your pets and enclosures and chat with other Tarantula enthusiasts. Sign up today!

Avic webbing ?

Tomoran

3 Year Member
Tarantula Club Member
How long before i can see some webbing in my avic enlousure ? I am guessing like 2 weeks or something.. but still nothing :)

It can take them a while to settle in and start webbing, and the slings seem to get at it faster than the larger specimens. My Avicularia versicolor sling started webbing after only a couple days. My sub-adult A. metallica, on the other hand, took a couple months (and it's web wasn't nearly as elaborate).

bookac

3 Year Member
It can take them a while to settle in and start webbing, and the slings seem to get at it faster than the larger specimens. My Avicularia versicolor sling started webbing after only a couple days. My sub-adult A. metallica, on the other hand, took a couple months (and it's web wasn't nearly as elaborate).

That is a loong period of time .. But its worth the waiting. :)

Kymura

1,000+ Post Club
3 Year Member
assuming its the same for A.avic? Mine eats, seems content, stretches out on the back wall but webs very very little since rehousing. She had only webbed a small spot where she stayed sitting in the other enclosure as well.

Chubbs

1,000+ Post Club
3 Year Member
assuming its the same for A.avic? Mine eats, seems content, stretches out on the back wall but webs very very little since rehousing. She had only webbed a small spot where she stayed sitting in the other enclosure as well.
In my experience A.avic and A.metallica web less than other Avics. Versicolor is kinda at the opposite end of the spectrum, mine is infamous for constantly webbing its lid shut to the point of where I can't even open the lid. The diversipes is the same way.

Bookac just make sure there are lots of anchor points, such as cork bark, vines, plastic leaves and plants. After that, it's just a matter of waiting for it to settle in.

bookac

3 Year Member
In my experience A.avic and A.metallica web less than other Avics. Versicolor is kinda at the opposite end of the spectrum, mine is infamous for constantly webbing its lid shut to the point of where I can't even open the lid. The diversipes is the same way.

Bookac just make sure there are lots of anchor points, such as cork bark, vines, plastic leaves and plants. After that, it's just a matter of waiting for it to settle in.

I am lack of fake plants, vines.. i wasnt able to find anywhere, a good plastic nature.. All i was able to find , were fake cloth plants.. I have only one cork bark in the middle of the enclousure, and one shelf near the middle of the enclousure, including a water dish, do you think this will be good enough for ancor points ?

MassExodus

1,000+ Post Club
3 Year Member
I have two adult A avics that do not web at all, until they molt, and then they either ignore the web or destroy it. Avics are most comfortable on walls, and will leave a thin coating of web all across the walls of an enclosure. In South America, avics are found on house walls, under eaves, in trees and inside large rolled up leaves on the ground. They're basically like large house spiders.. ;) I've put cork slabs and tubes in Avic enclosures, and they weren't touched. I just put some fake plants for cover, which some web to, and some don't. They will use them for cover if spooked, then come right back out. They are very unique little arachnids. None of my other spiders act anything like them. I love how bold they are. Definitely the best genus of arboreals, in my opinion.

Kymura

1,000+ Post Club
3 Year Member
I have two adult A avics that do not web at all, until they molt, and then they either ignore the web or destroy it. Avics are most comfortable on walls, and will leave a thin coating of web all across the walls of an enclosure. In South America, avics are found on house walls, under eaves, in trees and inside large rolled up leaves on the ground. They're basically like large house spiders.. ;) I've put cork slabs and tubes in Avic enclosures, and they weren't touched. I just put some fake plants for cover, which some web to, and some don't. They will use them for cover if spooked, then come right back out. They are very unique little arachnids. None of my other spiders act anything like them. I love how bold they are. Definitely the best genus of arboreals, in my opinion.
Thats reassuring, Urchin (A.avic) does web a light coating on the wall but seems to like stretching out on the back wall, unless shes hungry, then she comes down and checks around for her food.

MassExodus

1,000+ Post Club
3 Year Member
Thats reassuring, Urchin (A.avic) does web a light coating on the wall but seems to like stretching out on the back wall, unless shes hungry, then she comes down and checks around for her food.
My very first Avic is one of the ones who doesn't web. When I bought her from a pet store, she had a very sickly hue to her abdomen, hardly ate, didnt move much and was very defensive. I think she was getting ready to die. When I bought her I did it out of pity, and anger. She very slowly improved in my care, finally molted out of it, and she's healthy and very docile and active now. She went into premolt again after the initial molt, and got the ugly Avic butt that they get, but never had that hue again. Im fairly certain it was the conditions she was kept in, but it could have been some wild caught sickness. There was a big discussion on ab about that sickly color, and many people reported deaths. She's doing great now though. I think she just needed a decent home and rest to get through it. :)

Enn49

Staff member
1,000+ Post Club
3 Year Member
Tarantula Club Member
My little A. laerta started webbing the day after it arrived even though it had lost 2 legs moulting in transit. It began webbing between the cork bark and the side of the deli. It then made a tunnel of web where it moulted again, this seemed to be it until this last couple of weeks when it has almost filled the deli with web.

MassExodus

1,000+ Post Club
3 Year Member
My versis always make a web tube connected to their plants. One of my A avics webs a little, very little. There's quite a few I need to get though, the laeta being one. I really want an amazonica. And I believe I have a metallica sold as a A avic. Either that or its a cross, but it looks pure mettalica..its just hard to be sure..

Lady Arachnid

3 Year Member
My very first Avic is one of the ones who doesn't web. When I bought her from a pet store, she had a very sickly hue to her abdomen, hardly ate, didnt move much and was very defensive. I think she was getting ready to die. When I bought her I did it out of pity, and anger. She very slowly improved in my care, finally molted out of it, and she's healthy and very docile and active now. She went into premolt again after the initial molt, and got the ugly Avic butt that they get, but never had that hue again. Im fairly certain it was the conditions she was kept in, but it could have been some wild caught sickness. There was a big discussion on ab about that sickly color, and many people reported deaths. She's doing great now though. I think she just needed a decent home and rest to get through it. :)
What do you mean "that ugly avic butt"?

SasyStace

3 Year Member

You know I have been wondering about my Pink Toe rescue until I read this- thanks for sharing. and come to think of it shes in a rather ugly state her joints are bald from where the too small container rubbed them raw and her abdomen looks strange- I am seriously hoping this is a molt coming up

MassExodus

1,000+ Post Club
3 Year Member
You know I have been wondering about my Pink Toe rescue until I read this- thanks for sharing. and come to think of it shes in a rather ugly state her joints are bald from where the too small container rubbed them raw and her abdomen looks strange- I am seriously hoping this is a molt coming up
Is it the color that's strange or is her abdomen just swollen and kind of patchy/ragged looking?

Latest posts