1. Are you a Tarantula hobbyist? If so, we invite you to join our community! Once you join you'll be able to post messages, upload pictures of your pets and enclosures and chat with other Tarantula enthusiasts. Sign up today!

Avic staying at bottom of cage

Discussion in 'Avicularia' started by Freddy_T, Mar 7, 2018.

1. Freddy_T

Freddy_T New Member

Hi guys.. I have a quick question.. I have a juvenile pink toe and for days now she/he hasn't been climbing at all that I've seen. It does climb on the decorations in the cage but not to the top. When I first got him/her it was always at the top. Now it's always at the bottom.. Even under a log that's in the cage. I didn't expect this from an arboreal tarantula.. But I am very new at this. Could something be wrong?
  2. ALD

ALD Active Member

Hmmm you have only had her a few days? Could be distressing and getting used to the enclosure. Perhaps someone else would have more insight. That is my thought though.
  3. MassExodus

MassExodus Well-Known Member 1,000+ Post Club

ALD is right, spiders can take up to a month to get used to their new houses. And avics are weird to begin with. I wouldn't worry too much, give it a few weeks to get settled in ;)
  4. Arachnoclown

Arachnoclown Well-Known Member

An Avic on the ground doesn't sit well with me...a picture of your enclousure would be nice.
    MassExodus likes this.
  5. Dustin Amack

Dustin Amack Well-Known Member

I have been researching my Avics and brushing up on my avic game. I have been worried from time to time as well for the same reason. My adult A. metallca hase never made the slightest web in the 6 months I've had her, however she stays on her cork slab and/or sides of the extra large critter keeper. I've been reading on humidity - which I just stick with a topped off large water bowl as well and heat,I'm at (75-80 degrees). I have good air flow, so I'm not sure why she chooses to do this. Thoughts? If I can't get her acting better, maybe i'll send her your way... :)
    Last edited: Mar 8, 2018
  6. MassExodus

That's common behavior for avics. ;)
    Dustin Amack likes this.
  7. Dustin Amack

I've seen many other avic enclosures that are fully webbed up and they are rarely on the ground. I see mine on the substrate some times and absolutely no webbing...
  8. Arachnoclown

Adult Avics sometimes won't web when rehoused until it's time to molt...which with my oldest girl was 2 years. Juvies and slings will web up a storm.
  9. MassExodus

No webbing and staying on the walls is common. They rarely stay on the ground though. I've seen a few of mine go to the ground before a molt, but they never molt there.
    Arachnoclown likes this.
  10. Dustin Amack

That would explain it. I was also told that A. metallica web less that other avics. I did see one of Tom Moran's and his enclosure was entirely webbed so I was worried. I'm about to do a rehouse for her so she can get settled in.
    Arachnoclown likes this.
  11. Arachnoclown

One reason I've seen a Avic on the ground was because it was dying...misting a tank with poor ventilation. Two big no nos.
  12. MassExodus

I should have said IMO I suppose:) I've only owned around six avics though.
    Arachnoclown and Dustin Amack like this.
  13. Arachnoclown

My A. Metallica makes funnel webs...its a juvie though. Never hard a mature A. Metallica before.
    Dustin Amack likes this.
  14. Dustin Amack

Trusted advice, thank you both. I hope some of this helps @Freddy_T and his questions as well. I was'nt trying to steal his thread, just thought I would chime in with my concern as well.
    Arachnoclown and MassExodus like this.
  15. Dustin Amack

Let's make a trade. My metallica is an confirmed 6"ish female.... :) She's a beauty!
    Arachnoclown likes this.
  16. Arachnoclown

Mine appears to be male...its not quite 2".
  17. Dave Jay

Dave Jay Well-Known Member

I don't know much about the species, but has something changed regarding temperature? Do you heat the tank at all? Has the ambient temperature in the room changed? Staying low might be a reaction to excessive heat.
  18. MassExodus

Arachnoclown got me thinking. I've seen a versi go to ground before passing..if the avic is on the ground ALL the time, I would be worried as well. Maybe I didn't read the original post well..anyways, any updates?
    Whitelightning777 likes this.
  19. Whitelightning777

Whitelightning777 Well-Known Member 1,000+ Post Club

Interesting. Come to think of it my Versicolor hasn't webbed up as much.

The thing with humidity is that you can't see it until it's virtually close to 100%. That's why, despite the howls of protest, I prefer to have a humidity gauge, not to keep it high but to make sure it isn't excessive. 40 to 60 percent is about right. It should be similar to the room where the cage is, maybe just slightly more.

Yes, I know versicolor is a former Avic now but the last molt took place and the humidity was only 44 percent. Zilch problems. Full water dish!!

Gently have a fan such as a mini USB fan blow on the enclosure. If the T strongly prefers to be in the path of the breeze, it might be too humid.
    MassExodus likes this.
  20. Freddy_T

Freddy_T New Member

Wow.. Thank you guys for all of the great advice. I did try to put up a pic but am having trouble. So far Freddy is doing great. He/she still does go on the bottom of the cage sometimes.. The only thing I think I need to do different is get better ventilation. My cage only has top ventilation, which I'm hearing is bad. I'm working on that. We got to see Freddy take down a cricket yesterday. So I figure if it's eating then that's a great sign.

I wanted to add that when he ate the cricket he was inside a skull house hut. To me, someone brand new to this, that seems odd bc it's a tree dwelling spider. He does climb.. But there are times where he just sits in the bottom.
    Last edited: Mar 23, 2018
Draft saved Draft deleted