• Are you a Tarantula hobbyist? If so, we invite you to join our community! Once you join you'll be able to post messages, upload pictures of your pets and enclosures and chat with other Tarantula enthusiasts. Sign up today!

spiderdisco

My sling just molted and I put it under the microscope! Am I seeing female parts????

Attachments

• 20210624_190105.jpg
    20210624_190105.jpg
    2.6 MB · Views: 15

octanejunkie

1,000+ Post Club
3 Year Member
Tarantula Club Member
Soak the exo in soapy water, one drop of dish soap per like quart or so.

Spread it out, carefully unrolling the abdomen and look at the slit (epigastric furrow) between the anterior book lungs like @Teresaisrad said

You may need a microscope... You are looking for the spermatheca, which should look like this on Avicularia juruensis

Figures-106-108-Avicularia-juruensis-Mello-Leitao-1923-spermathecae-variation-106.png

Immature females they will be clear or lightly colored and not fully developed, long and curved.

Good luck!

spiderdisco

Soak the exo in soapy water, one drop of dish soap per like quart or so.

Spread it out, carefully unrolling the abdomen and look at the slit (epigastric furrow) between the anterior book lungs like @Teresaisrad said

You may need a microscope... You are looking for the spermatheca, which should look like this on Avicularia juruensis

View attachment 57972

Immature females they will be clear or lightly colored and not fully developed, long and curved.

Good luck!
This pic is under a microscope! It was soaked and unfurled. You can see faint book lungs. I don’t see spermatheca, but it is a very young sling. Thank you for the photos, those will definitely come in handy for future molts!! You rock!

Latest posts