• Are you a Tarantula hobbyist? If so, we invite you to join our community! Once you join you'll be able to post messages, upload pictures of your pets and enclosures and chat with other Tarantula enthusiasts. Sign up today!

avic avic molting

emmathayer22

Hi! I’m brand new here so first I want to say hello!! Thanks for welcoming me!
I recently acquired an Avicularia Avicularia. After buying her I learned that the retailer I bought her from is not the most reliable, a lot of spider keepers I know have told me of extensive had experiences with them. She is quite small, juvenile with a leg span of about two inches right now. She just had her first molt, & it was a rough one for her, lost two legs. She’s now walking fine but her legs are a big crooked & seem kind of kinked up. Any ideas? Suggestions?

Thanks so much!!! ️️

m0lsx

Staff member
1,000+ Post Club
3 Year Member
Tarantula Club Member
First, welcome to both the forum & the hobby.

Second, don't worry if your T has survived a bad molt. These happen very occasionally & T's seem to thrive in captivity, even if the molt did not go as we hoped.

I have a Brachypelma hamorii whose rear legs resemble the toes of Aladdins shoes.
s-l400.jpg

At first we worried she would struggle & assumed she would molt again quickly to rectify the issue. But it has been well over a year & she manages just fine.

As for the missing legs on your Avic avic. You are about to witness one of natures true miracles, as next time they molt, you will see two very thin legs & the molt after that, will need your memory to know which legs were lost, as it will once again have 8 perfect legs.

m0lsx

Staff member
1,000+ Post Club
3 Year Member
Tarantula Club Member
I only had her for four days.. & knowing what I know about the retailer I’m thinking she was just in such horrible husbandry that she didn’t have a shot

Sorry to hear that. Sometimes, T's can die for no known reason.

emmathayer22

Update: I went back to the store & they gave me a gorgeous female as a replacement & even threw in a matured male because they wanted him to have a home in his final months. The male is so gorgeous, the blue is incredible & the little pink toes are so cute!!
DSC_0645.jpeg
DSC_0615.jpeg