• Are you a Tarantula hobbyist? If so, we invite you to join our community! Once you join you'll be able to post messages, upload pictures of your pets and enclosures and chat with other Tarantula enthusiasts. Sign up today!

Avic Avic in premolt or maybe fasting?

itsgrazz123

Hi. My Avic Avic hasn’t eaten since it ate a big juicy dubia roach 3 weeks ago (was eating well before then). Not moving around its enclosure, been in that spot a while (previously would go on little adventures). I’m noticing more webbing appearing. I assume this is all signs of premolt? Any advice is appreciated, thank you.

IMG_3568.jpeg
IMG_3567.jpeg
IMG_3566.jpeg
IMG_3565.jpeg

Attachments

• IMG_3566.jpeg
    IMG_3566.jpeg
    1.9 MB · Views: 17

ta122

Did you get your A. avicularia from a big-box pet store? It's not overfed. The enclosure shouldn't be causing issues. Arboreals will typically make their molt mat off the ground and flip over on it. He/she hasn't made that yet. It's not uncommon for tarantulas to just vegetate sometimes. A molt may be coming, or they could just be digesting that roach. If it's cool in your home, that would definitely take longer. I don't see anything concerning.

itsgrazz123

Did you get your A. avicularia from a big-box pet store? It's not overfed. The enclosure shouldn't be causing issues. Arboreals will typically make their molt mat off the ground and flip over on it. He/she hasn't made that yet. It's not uncommon for tarantulas to just vegetate sometimes. A molt may be coming, or they could just be digesting that roach. If it's cool in your home, that would definitely take longer. I don't see anything concerning.
Nice thank you very much for replying. Yes I got it from a pet store. Sounds like there’s nothing to really worry about then. I’ll post an update if I think there are any concerns. They’re definitely interesting little creatures.

ta122

The reason I asked about the pet store is because they tend to sell mature males. Mature males don't live long. If you are able to get a closer picture of the front legs and pedipalps, I can tell you if this is the case. A top view wouldn't be helpful. If you can get a close image from underneath, that would show tarsal hooks or palpal bulbs.

ta122

Also, you can find breeders here, on Arachnoboards and on the Facebook group Tarantula Classifieds. If you prefer to buy in person, I recommend looking up a reptile show near you. Tarantulas are sold there. There are so many reasons to not buy from pet stores. You get charged more too.

itsgrazz123

Also, you can find breeders here, on Arachnoboards and on the Facebook group Tarantula Classifieds. If you prefer to buy in person, I recommend looking up a reptile show near you. Tarantulas are sold there. There are so many reasons to not buy from pet stores. You get charged more too.
thanks a lot.... I'll deffo look to buy from breeders moving forward - i attached a pic of the underneath of the spider which was taken a few weeks ago