• Are you a Tarantula hobbyist? If so, we invite you to join our community! Once you join you'll be able to post messages, upload pictures of your pets and enclosures and chat with other Tarantula enthusiasts. Sign up today!

Arizona Blond

Dustin Amack

3 Year Member
Does anyone have an Aphonopelma chalcodes (Arizona Blond)? I have just ordered myself a new male to add to my collection and and curious about how they are. I have handled one in the past and it was very docile, and everything I have read suggests this to be a pretty calm genus. My new purchase is a 3-4 in immature male.

Calico

3 Year Member
I have one. He is wild caught (not on purpose!) and my first T. I have had him since May and have had no problems with him. He is about 2-2.5". Very easy to care for. Just about 3-4" substrate, a water dish and hide. However, he only used the hide for the first month or so and then decided to burrow under his water dish. And that is where he stays! Usually eats about 2-3 large crickets/week and then disappears for a few weeks. I haven't seen him in about 3 weeks now. I don't handle as I'm terrified of spiders. When he is out I could watch for hours. For my first T he has been an excellent example. Has made me want to get another someday. Good luck with your new addition.

Turtlynne

3 Year Member
I just happened by this evening...I have one too - she's gorgeous - about 4" - I bought her mostly grown about 6 months ago from what I consider a reputable hobbyist online - I agree, she is mostly pet rock but she is always outside and never turns down food...I am a 'blonde' so it tickles me to have her(altho I am more grey than blonde now)...I do not handle her or my other Ts - I am of the "they are not pets to pet" persuasion - not for fear - so I could not advise re her response to handling - she was not difficult to rehome when she arrived even after overnight shipping...one of my favorite 'babies'...but I am prejudiced and like them all...have fun with your new T

Dustin Amack

3 Year Member
So happy with this little guy!

Attachments

• 1045.jpeg
    1045.jpeg
    730.5 KB · Views: 65

Dustin Amack

3 Year Member
Question... The female A. Chalcodes that is on her way to me is wild caught. Is there a change in disposition and how docile they are if captive bred or wild caught?

Calico

3 Year Member
Question... The female A. Chalcodes that is on her way to me is wild caught. Is there a change in disposition and how docile they are if captive bred or wild caught?

I only have experience with mine, which is wild caught. As far as I am concerned he is pretty calm. But I don't handle. He's never presented a threat pose when I've had to put my hand in his enclosure. If anything, he just puts his but in the air and backs away or goes into his burrow.
Good luck with your new girl and post pics!

Rickdawg73

3 Year Member
I've had mine for 4 days now and I find it fascinating! It's an unsexed juvi (although it looks female by the coloring). It doesn't do much and hasn't eaten yet (threw some crickets in yesterday). It seems to sleep a lot..lol. Anyway so far I'm happy..no problems going in to change water and no hints of typical teenage bad attitudes..heehehe. I'm planning to rehouse into a 5 gallon aquarium..still doing my research. Good luck and enjoy!

Calico

3 Year Member
I've had mine for 4 days now and I find it fascinating! It's an unsexed juvi (although it looks female by the coloring). It doesn't do much and hasn't eaten yet (threw some crickets in yesterday). It seems to sleep a lot..lol. Anyway so far I'm happy..no problems going in to change water and no hints of typical teenage bad attitudes..heehehe. I'm planning to rehouse into a 5 gallon aquarium..still doing my research. Good luck and enjoy!

I have mine in a 5 gal aquarium also. However, now that I have learned more than I knew in the beginning, I find it a little too large. When I put crickets in they usually run to the hide and stay there. He won't go after them unless they come near his burrow. I would suggest a 2.5 gal if you can find one. If Cal ever decides to show himself I plan on moving to the smaller one. Or if/when I get another T, I may modify to put divider in so I can have two in one.

Calico

3 Year Member
Thanks for the heads up! Finding a 2.5 shouldn't be a problem. Are Arizona's known for fasting? Just wondering why mine hasn't eaten yet?

Mine hasn't eaten in over a month. He's been in his burrow forever! His eating varies. He'll eat 2-3 crickets a week and then disappear. But has never refused food. Yours may be just adjusting to his new environment. I wouldn't worry too much. Has it molted? Could be premolt also. I'm just guessing though. I am no expert by any means ;) Post a pic. I would love to see her/him.

Whitelightning777

1,000+ Post Club
3 Year Member
One trick to use with larger enclosures and small tarantulas + crickets is to get 2 bottle caps.

Locate where the tarantula hides or hangs out most frequently.

Put cricket food in one and hydration gel in the other. Put the bottle caps close to where the T hides.

There are 2 benefits.

First, the crickets stay gut loaded and are far less likely to molest the spider due to hunger.

Second, in order to eat, the crickets have to go very close to the tarantula where the T can detect it easily and pounce. The large size of the enclosure thus becomes unimportant in terms of feeding etc.

Rickdawg73

3 Year Member
Mine hasn't eaten in over a month. He's been in his burrow forever! His eating varies. He'll eat 2-3 crickets a week and then disappear. But has never refused food. Yours may be just adjusting to his new environment. I wouldn't worry too much. Has it molted? Could be premolt also. I'm just guessing though. I am no expert by any means ;) Post a pic. I would love to see her/him.

Just rehoused today..hoping to get some pics up later. I was wondering if it's in premolt but I don't know :-/. My T isn't very active and getting rehoused was a little challenging.

WolfSpider

1,000+ Post Club
3 Year Member
Most of Ken’s A. Chalcodes are wild caught. He lives in Tuscan, AZ and can easily capture many of his specimens.

Arachnoclown

1,000+ Post Club
3 Year Member
Tarantula Club Member
One trick to use with larger enclosures and small tarantulas + crickets is to get 2 bottle caps.

Locate where the tarantula hides or hangs out most frequently.

Put cricket food in one and hydration gel in the other. Put the bottle caps close to where the T hides.

There are 2 benefits.

First, the crickets stay gut loaded and are far less likely to molest the spider due to hunger.

Second, in order to eat, the crickets have to go very close to the tarantula where the T can detect it easily and pounce. The large size of the enclosure thus becomes unimportant in terms of feeding etc.
That's a really great idea. I use a reptile meal worm dish for my T.Stirmi's. Sometimes they are in their hides during feeding time. Ill put a couple superworms in the dish and when the lights go out they run over to the bowls. I'll try to catch it on video.

Latest posts