• Are you a Tarantula hobbyist? If so, we invite you to join our community! Once you join you'll be able to post messages, upload pictures of your pets and enclosures and chat with other Tarantula enthusiasts. Sign up today!

Arboreal tarantulas' owners: I need your help!

Arlo

Hey, folks!

My husband and I love our two girls so much that we are ready to get another one ("I don't want a tarantula," he said, "we might as well get a pet rock," he said). So far we've got a T. Albo and a Grammostola Pulchra—I think it's time for us to start venturing into the world of arboreal Ts.

Now, we've done a little bit of research and I was surprised to see that arboreal tarantulas don't seem to live nearly half as long as terrestrial ones..which is a bummer, because Shelob and Ungoliant will hopefully live into their 30s and 40s.

Do you guys have any recommendations? What is a good, "friendly", not-so-skittish arboreal tarantula that ideally has a pretty long lifespan?

Thanks in advance :))

Arachnoclown

1,000+ Post Club
3 Year Member
Tarantula Club Member
All arboreal tarantulas are on the skittish side. They're way faster then terrestrial tarantulas and they also can jump. The most laid back easiest arboreal to deal with would be a Avicularia avicularia, your common pinktoe tarantula.
20210126_200006.jpg
20210125_212100.jpg
20181229_173157.jpg

Arlo

All arboreal tarantulas are on the skittish side. They are way faster then terrestrial tarantulas and they also can jump. The most laid back easiest arboreal to deal with would be a Avicularia avicularia, your common pinktoe tarantula. View attachment 67115View attachment 67116View attachment 67117
I absolutely love pinktoe tarantulas, I've heard they web up a ton too, which is great. The only thing holding me back is their lifespan. I know 15 years is A LOT for most people, but...ya know...I guess I'm crazy lol

liquidfluidity

3 Year Member
I would agree on both - Avic Avic is a good entry into the world of arboreal and that most arboreals are a bit more skittish than terrestrials.

This is one of my C. versicolors. Only thing differentiating them is a name change and color. Ther Versi is a bit more active and a great hunter. Super "fun" spider

Attachments

• 20220601_194610.jpg
    20220601_194610.jpg
    951.2 KB · Views: 13

Arlo

I would agree on both - Avic Avic is a good entry into the world of arboreal and that most arboreals are a bit more skittish than terrestrials.

This is one of my C. versicolors. Only thing differentiating them is a name change and color. Ther Versi is a bit more active and a great hunter. Super "fun" spider
I read most arboreals tend to try and run out of their enclosure when it's open for maintenance. Would you say that's true? (Your c. versicolor is GORGEOUS)

liquidfluidity

3 Year Member
I would disagree. I have never had that issue....ever. Not even with my Old Worlds. A lot of factors play into that though. If the spider is comfortable and feels safe, they usually don't want to leave - in my experience of course

Arlo

I would disagree. I have never had that issue....ever. Not even with my Old Worlds. A lot of factors play into that though. If the spider is comfortable and feels safe, they usually don't want to leave - in my experience of course
That's good to know, I was really worried about that. Thank you so much for all the information!!!

im25son

I read most arboreals tend to try and run out of their enclosure when it's open for maintenance. Would you say that's true? (Your c. versicolor is GORGEOUS)
I have three caribean versicolor slings, ~1.5cm, sac-mates from the same breeder. I rehouse them each to identical container with similar settings. One of them always bolts out whenever I water them, the other two are kinda layback and chill. So even for a generally layback species there will be individual specimens with totally different personality.

see how fast mr. nuts bolts his legs are blurry. and the other one stays in the fully open container.

Attachments

• nuts and bolts.jpeg
    nuts and bolts.jpeg
    92 KB · Views: 8
  • mozzie.jpeg
    mozzie.jpeg
    133.7 KB · Views: 8

Arachnoclown

1,000+ Post Club
3 Year Member
Tarantula Club Member
Most old worlds tend to run and hide. However Avicularia are different. Some do like to explore as soon as that door opens. I have 6 different types of Avicularia species. I have a Morph 1 and morph 6 that jump out of the enclosure every time I open the door. Usually they jump onto my hand or the door itself. They’re not bolty like they are trying to get away. Its more like a curiosity thing wanting to explore.They are super easy to round back up. I also have a Caribena versicolor that like to sit outside her enclose while I clean it. They all have done this same thing since they were slings.
20180417_181711_1524014895050.jpg
20180417_185659.jpg

liquidfluidity

3 Year Member
One thing I see regularly with Avics, or other arboreals, they like to go up. In a top opening enclosure, it's to be expected. Most of my enclosures have doors and maybe that's why I have not had any issues.

Nice shots Arachnoclown! Versis are so cool at that size :)

Arlo

Also, needless to say, always know exactly where your T is before opening the enclosure.
Yup, good point. There are just so many people on forums complaining of how fast these ts are and how prone they are to just jumping out of their tanks that I became paranoid.

Arlo

I have three caribean versicolor slings, ~1.5cm, sac-mates from the same breeder. I rehouse them each to identical container with similar settings. One of them always bolts out whenever I water them, the other two are kinda layback and chill. So even for a generally layback species there will be individual specimens with totally different personality.

see how fast mr. nuts bolts his legs are blurry. and the other one stays in the fully open container.
Fair enough. I got used to my two terrestrials who just sit there while I move stuff around in their enclosures lol

All these pictures of beautiful arboreals are really making me want to get one.

liquidfluidity

3 Year Member
I would say that most, if not all, Avicularia species would be a good starter arboreal. Lots to choose from and some are even colorful ;)

Blackdog

I love my A. Aviculara easily the most laid back of all my T's. Wants to also come out and see what's going on and is easily redirected.

Attachments

• IMG_3659.jpeg
    IMG_3659.jpeg
    520.3 KB · Views: 5

Latest posts