• Are you a Tarantula hobbyist? If so, we invite you to join our community! Once you join you'll be able to post messages, upload pictures of your pets and enclosures and chat with other Tarantula enthusiasts. Sign up today!

Arboreal species

shaun

3 Year Member
Would anyone consider one arboreal to be more hardy than others?
I have had two pink toes die and i read one comment that they are difficult to keep.

regalis

Old world or new world or any? I do enjoy an old world arboreal! :)
I do have a Psalmopoeus cambridgei (trinidad chevron) he seems to be a robust little guy. Growing fast. New world however..... they are a little more like old worlds in the fact that they are a bit faster and dont flick hairs so may be a bit more snappy. I also have Caribena versicolor. Way more chilled. Was yours avic avic?

regalis

My lil caribena....
20200323_104144.jpg

shaun

3 Year Member
Yes avic avic. I love their look and they were usually chilled, one did a little jump once, when I was changing the water dish but nothing like running fast. Maybe I should try again and improve the housing

regalis

I just add lots of ventilation cork bark tube and moisten half the substrate. Let it dry then do the other half. I glue a little tattoo ink cup as a water dish on the cork tube. I'm not sure about the avic avic as I haven't had one but it works fine for all my other arboreal slings.

Attachments

• 20200324_122358.jpg
    20200324_122358.jpg
    3.8 MB · Views: 13

octanejunkie

1,000+ Post Club
3 Year Member
Tarantula Club Member
How about Psalmopoeus cambridgei or Pseudoclamoris gigas - both are "hardier" than an Avic according to the interwebs

OW nod with P cambridgei for @regalis ;)

Arachnoclown

1,000+ Post Club
3 Year Member
Tarantula Club Member
I see @shaun put a picture of his enclosure on another thread.. Its an exo terra but he replaced the mesh lid with a perspex one with some holes drilled through it I believe :)
Probably holding too much humidity now...those screen tops are perfect for avicularia. No need to alter them for any arboreal species. Sounds like ventilation may be the culprit.

E

ExMember

Exo terra do have cross ventilation. There are gaps in the door (opened a third of the way and my tachydromus can squeeze through) and under the door are air vents that small crickets can get out of. But no where enough from my understanding. A glass drill bit is an easy solution. I would put quite a few holes in there and those cages would be great!

This is one reason I don't keep avics or versicolor at the moment.

regalis

I did see an avic in a local ps the other day and was tempted. I left it as it was £50 and I wasnt sure if it was a reasonable price. ( it was approx 7-8 cm). I may go and acquire him. :rolleyes:

shaun

3 Year Member
Ouch! I replaced the mesh top after reading that the t's can get caught and lose legs.
If this is not the case I will replace

KenD

Exo terra do have cross ventilation. There are gaps in the door (opened a third of the way and my tachydromus can squeeze through) and under the door are air vents that small crickets can get out of. But no where enough from my understanding. A glass drill bit is an easy solution. I would put quite a few holes in there and those cages would be great!

This is one reason I don't keep avics or versicolor at the moment.
The Exo Terra ventilation is done in a way that promotes air circulation really well. No need to drill additional holes.

octanejunkie

1,000+ Post Club
3 Year Member
Tarantula Club Member
The Exo Terra ventilation is done in a way that promotes air circulation really well. No need to drill additional holes.

Airflow can be greatly reduced by filling the enclosure with too much substrate, effectively negating the design

Latest posts