• Are you a Tarantula hobbyist? If so, we invite you to join our community! Once you join you'll be able to post messages, upload pictures of your pets and enclosures and chat with other Tarantula enthusiasts. Sign up today!

Arachnid Empire

Blade2257

Has anyone had any dealings with Jeremy Huff at Arachnid Empire? I have bought 2 species of T's from him (never told the the latin name for either) and at around the same, one passed away and the other I can't tell, she isn't moving but at the same time, isn't in her "death curl" I was wondering if anyone had any experiences with him. Thanks

Oursapoil

1,000+ Post Club
3 Year Member
Tarantula Club Member
Has anyone had any dealings with Jeremy Huff at Arachnid Empire? I have bought 2 species of T's from him (never told the the latin name for either) and at around the same, one passed away and the other I can't tell, she isn't moving but at the same time, isn't in her "death curl" I was wondering if anyone had any experiences with him. Thanks
Good morning Blade.
I have personally never ordered from Arachnid Empire but if you wouldn't mind I have a few questions:
What are the two spider you got? (names and sizes please)
When were they received?
How long after you received them did one of them die?
Could you please provide pictures of their enclosures?
Did you already try to reach out to Jeremy?

Let us know, thank you.

Blade2257

Good morning Blade.
I have personally never ordered from Arachnid Empire but if you wouldn't mind I have a few questions:
What are the two spider you got? (names and sizes please)
When were they received?
How long after you received them did one of them die?
Could you please provide pictures of their enclosures?
Did you already try to reach out to Jeremy?

Let us know, thank you.
I unfortunately do not have pictures of either. The first I got I was a P. pulcher sling, and she died within 2 months, the 2nd was a sub-adult G. iheringi, who, after about 2 months of having, seems to have passed last night. I tried reaching out with both and he just said "they are dead". The pulcher was in a small vertical enclosure specific for slings, and the iheringi was in a large critter tote, both with plenty of bedding, hides, and water dish

Oursapoil

1,000+ Post Club
3 Year Member
Tarantula Club Member
I unfortunately do not have pictures of either. The first I got I was a P. pulcher sling, and she died within 2 months, the 2nd was a sub-adult G. iheringi, who, after about 2 months of having, seems to have passed last night. I tried reaching out with both and he just said "they are dead". The pulcher was in a small vertical enclosure specific for slings, and the iheringi was in a large critter tote, both with plenty of bedding, hides, and water dish
I am very sorry for both of your losses. Although you can never be 100% sure, the fact that they lived at least 2 full months makes it not really likely that the vendor is to blame as they would have likely died much sooner if there was an initial issue with the spiders. During these 2+ months, did they molt, were they feeding well? Having pictures of the enclosures would drastically help narrowing down where things went wrong. What were you feeding them if you do not mind me asking?

ArachnoHorn

3 Year Member
I agree with @Oursapoil . You had them for 2 months already so maybe think what you did wrong.

Oursapoil

1,000+ Post Club
3 Year Member
Tarantula Club Member
I agree with @Oursapoil . You had them for 2 months already so maybe think what you did wrong.
Hello friend,
The goal is not to blame anyone as Blade might have not done anything wrong but rather to try to pinpoint where something went wrong to avoid it from happening in the future, to Blade and to anyone else as we are all here to learn and to help each other. If we can prevent a few Ts from dying before their time it is a win-win for everybody.

Blade2257

I am sorry for the delay, I have finally been able to upload pics of my G. iheringi enclosure. To answer the questions, yes my iheringi has molted since I have had her, which was about a month or so in, and until recently (past 2 weeks ish), she has been eating fairly well. I did see her move around a bit, and since she is now webbing the entrances to her cork bark, I feel as though she will be going into molt soon. I still want to learn and not get this scare again so please any feedback on her enclosure is more than welcome, I am not sure if the pic is good enough, as I just misted her enclosure, but there is about 4-5 inches or so of bedding, and she has been in the larger of the 2 pieces of cork bark.

Attachments

• 0211211951.jpg
    0211211951.jpg
    5.2 MB · Views: 17

Blade2257

I am sorry for the delay, I have finally been able to upload pics of my G. iheringi enclosure. To answer the questions, yes my iheringi has molted since I have had her, which was about a month or so in, and until recently (past 2 weeks ish), she has been eating fairly well. I did see her move around a bit, and since she is now webbing the entrances to her cork bark, I feel as though she will be going into molt soon. I still want to learn and not get this scare again so please any feedback on her enclosure is more than welcome, I am not sure if the pic is good enough, as I just misted her enclosure, but there is about 4-5 inches or so of bedding, and she has been in the larger of the 2 pieces of cork bark.

Attachments

• 0211211952_HDR.jpg
    0211211952_HDR.jpg
    5.4 MB · Views: 12

Oursapoil

1,000+ Post Club
3 Year Member
Tarantula Club Member
Hi,
Everything looks good although a little crowded :)
On piece of cork should be more than enough. On the second picture, did you spray inside the enclosure?
Rule of thumbs, if she is webbing and settling under a cork it is a good sign. What have you been feeding her?

Oursapoil

1,000+ Post Club
3 Year Member
Tarantula Club Member
Hi, do not mist the enclosure!
Once a week, change the water and clean up the water dish. When pouring water to fill it up, overflow a little for the substrate around the water dish to be moist, that should be more than enough.

octanejunkie

1,000+ Post Club
3 Year Member
Tarantula Club Member
Misting and spraying raises humidity excessively, but only temporarily, and can be handy when you have a T in its webbing who won't change me down to drink. Think of this like a brief summer rain.

Overflowing the water dish to soak a portion of the substrate delivers more consistent and lower humidity over a longer period of time, and is more natural and appropriate for most species. It's usually recommended to allow the substrate to dry out before soaking it again to prevent molt and fungus grow growing. Some keepers omit overflowing the water dish in arid species enclosures.

Best rule of thumb is to always provide a water dish with clean water. If your T fills it or knocks it over just clean and refill it. They know what they want and what they are doing.

Latest posts